What happened to "dorms"?Back to top.
A dormitory is merely a place to sleep and store your belongings. In the past, dorm mothers or fathers supervised dorms. This concept of on-campus living ended in the '60s! A residence hall, on the other hand, is a home. It is a place to live and learn. It is an important part of college life that will enhance the classroom experience. After all, students typically spend a great deal more time in the residence halls than they do anywhere else on campus.

A residence hall is a complete environment where students can learn to interact with people, develop leadership skills, write papers, attend events and programs, make lifelong friends, and build long-lasting memories. Through educational programs and contact with faculty/staff members, residents can greatly enhance their learning experiences at The University of Tampa.

What is the cost of housing? | Back to top.
Please see room and board rates.

Do the residence halls remain open during holidays and breaks? | Back to top.
Residence halls remain open during Thanksgiving and spring breaks. Each year certain residence halls will be open for winter break; students must sign up for winter break housing at the cost of $500. If students only need housing for winter intersession, there is a $250 charge. Hotel residents will pack their belongings and the University will store them over the winter break.

What if I have a housing request based on medical needs?Back to top.

In accordance with applicable federal, state and local disability laws, The University of Tampa will make every effort to provide reasonable housing accommodations for students who have a qualifying disability. Any student needing accommodations related to University housing or meal plan options should contact the associate director of Academic Excellence Programs in Student Disability Services to request appropriate accommodations and provide supporting documentation. Student Disability Services and Residence Life work collaboratively in order to provide appropriate housing accommodations for eligible students living on-campus.

Accommodation requests and documentation should be submitted by the housing application deadlines (NEW Fall students – May 1, NEW Spring students – Oct. 1, CONTINUING students – Feb.1); requests submitted after posted deadlines will still be considered but will be subject to space availability. Student Disability Services will notify Residence Life regarding students who are approved for accommodations. Assignments will be made directly by Residence Life based on the approved accommodations. 

If reasonable accommodations cannot immediately be satisfied due to capacity/facility design/availability/etc., the student’s request will be given priority over other housing requests. Each student’s request will be reviewed on an individual basis and may require a meeting with the associate director of Academic Excellence Programs in Student Disability Services.

Documentation for housing accommodations should include:

  • diagnosis or statement of the student’s condition from the student’s treating professional;
  • clear description of the desired housing configuration. This does not include requesting specific residence halls; and
  • an explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the student’s disability or condition.

All documentation must be typed, on letterhead and with a signature from the student’s treating professional. 

Students should submit their housing accommodation requests and supporting documentation via an Accommodation Request. Any questions concerning documentation requirements should be directed to the associate director of Academic Excellence Programs at disability.services@ut.edu or (813) 257-3266. 

    Accommodations we are unable to provide include:

    • A separate low distraction living environment accommodation. If a student needs to live or sleep in a near silent environment we cannot guarantee this environment.
    • A different bed. We can remove the existing bed from the room if it is deemed medically necessary so a student can bring their own bed.
    • Accepting documentation which names a specific building in which the accommodation is to be provided.
    • Assigning or moving a preferred roommate along with a student for which special accommodations are being offered, unless the roommate would otherwise be eligible for the space.
    • Guaranteeing rooms with a private bath.
    • A dust or allergen free environment.

    More information on housing accommodations

    How will I be assigned if I am a transgender student? | Back to top.

    The Office of Residence Life is committed to working to meet the housing needs of all students in a nurturing community that values diversity and promotes the dignity of all people. For continuing students, specific spaces on campus will be designated gender-inclusive in the online housing selection process each spring semester. As these spaces are chosen, additional spaces may be added to this option. Continuing students must apply with their prospective roommate(s) following the same processes and deadlines of all students entering the housing election process. First-year and transfer students may request gender-inclusive housing on the housing application. When submitted by the established deadline, they will be contacted by the director of housing or designee to provide housing that best meets the needs of the student. Find out more about LGBTQ+ Resources.

    What are the bed sizes in the residence halls?Back to top.  

    For student comfort, all residence hall mattresses are extra-long twins, measuring 80" x 36".  This is longer than the average 76 inches. These extra-long beds require specifically-sized sheets, comforters and blankets. Therefore, University of Tampa has been providing the Residence Hall Linens program to students since 1998.  

    On move-in day, it's important to have those XL sheets that can be hard to find. Our goal is to make sure every parent and student is ready with the right size sheets. Residence Hall Linens offers a huge variety of custom-sized linens guaranteed to fit your residence hall bed and to last until graduation. They also provide a selection of extra-long thermal blankets, extra-long mattress pads, pillows, storage solutions and extra-long comforters.

    Information regarding linens will be mailed directly to students during the summer, or you can visit Residence Hall Linens at www.rhl.org/tmp.

    Beds in the Barrymore Hotel are queen size, and linens are provided.

    Are the residence halls carpeted? | Back to top.
    Resident rooms are carpeted in the Boathouse and Barrymore Hotel. Some rooms are carpeted in McKay.  The rooms in Austin, Brevard, Jenkins, Morsani, Palm, Smiley, Straz, Urso and Vaughn Center do not have carpet.

    What type of furniture is provided in each room? | Back to top.
    Each student gets a desk, desk chair, bed, dresser and closet space/wardrobe.

    What happens if I lose a key?Back to top.
    Residents will need to log onto Residence by Symplicity and report that they lost their key(s) and need them replaced. There is a charge of $100 to change the lock and $15 for each new key. Key replacement prices vary depending on which key was lost and if a loan key replacement is needed. The total amount will be billed to the resident's student account. The time frame to replace a key(s) could be between two to three business days. During certain hours, loan keys can be checked out at the Information Desk at the Vaughn Center. If a loan key is not returned accordingly, the student will automatically be assigned and charged for a lock change.

    What is an RA? Back to top.
    A resident assistant (RA) is a student staff member working and living in a residence hall. Resident assistants provide support, guidance and assistance for resident students. RAs also engage residential students in meaningful experiences to learn about themselves, about others and develop skills to become Spartan Ready. 

    Are students required to live on campus? | Back to top.
    UT students are not required to live on campus.

    What should I bring with me?
    Back to top.
    Please see the Packing List for information on what to bring to campus.

    What appliances should I leave at home?Back to top.
    Do not bring hot plates, grills (including George Foreman-type grills) or toaster ovens.

    Can I bring a microwave and refrigerator with me?Back to top.
    The following restrictions must be met:

    1. With the exception of Urso Hall, Palm Apartments and Straz Hall apartments (which already have full-size refrigerators), refrigerators should be no larger than 6 cubic feet, 36 inches high, 24 inches wide, 26 inches deep, 1.8 amps, 110 volts. In the interest of fire prevention, electrical outlets must not be overloaded.
    2. No devices for the purpose of cooking are allowed in residence hall rooms, with the exception of the following: pop-up toasters (not toaster ovens), blenders, can openers, coffee makers and juicers. Microwave ovens are permitted in student rooms provided the microwave oven has been UL approved and does not exceed 700 watts.
    3. These regulations may vary in Urso Hall, Palm Apartments and Straz Hall, where kitchen areas are available. Students living in these halls should check with their RA. Also, residents of these three buildings are responsible for cleaning their own stoves and refrigerators. Appliances are expected to be clean at checkout time.

    Is there a meal plan?Back to top.
    Residents of all halls are required to participate in the University's meal plan. The 7-meal plan per week option is only available to students living in an apartment. The Resident Meal Plan provides you an option to choose from four different meal plans to use in the cafeteria. Students also receive Spartan Dollars for use at other food establishments on campus. During academic breaks, dining hours and availability are subject to change. For more information, please see Dining Services.

    How do I receive my mail and packages on campus?Back to top.
    The Campus Post Office is located in the Southard Family Building (formerly Riverside Center). All students are given a post office box with its own combination. The number and combination are mailed to students during the summer before they arrive at UT. Packages may be sent to students at their post office box. Students are notified when their packages arrive. A picture ID is required to retrieve packages.

    Residents receiving deliveries of perishable items such as flowers and/or food will not be delivered to their room or box number directly, but to the Information Desk at the Vaughn Center, where they will be contacted to pick up their item(s). A picture ID is required to retrieve deliveries.

    All student addresses are "401 W. Kennedy Blvd ; Campus Box #___; Tampa , FL 33606." Please inform those sending you mail and packages of the correct address. With the proper address, your mail will arrive faster and be distributed efficiently.

    Should I bring my computer and are the rooms wired for computer connections?Back to top.
    With a computer equipped with an Ethernet or wireless card, students can enjoy free, direct, unlimited access to email and the Internet from any residence hall room. Wireless networking is also available throughout much of campus. Students without their own computer can use the conveniently located computer labs in the Vaughn Center, Jaeb Computer Center and Plant Hall.

    Am I allowed to have a pet in the residence halls?Back to top.
    Students may have fish as pets with the consent of their roommate(s). Each room/apartment may have one 10-gallon aquarium. Students who have fish should arrange for someone off campus to care for them during holidays and breaks. No other pets are permitted with the exception of service animals. Emotional support animals (ESAs) are only permitted in the student's room if accommodations have been given to the student by the UT Student Disability Services Office for an ESA. Animals are not permitted to visit in the residence halls including interior and exterior hallways.

    Am I allowed to have guests in my room?Back to top.
    You may have overnight guests with prior authorization from your roommate(s). Guests will not be allowed in a room unless all occupants in that room are in agreement. We ask that residents notify their RA when they will be having overnight guests. All guests are subject to University regulations and residence hall policies. Residents are responsible for the actions of their guest(s) and guests should be escorted at all times. Guests, including family members, may stay a maximum of three days per academic year in the residence halls. If a student feels his or her roommate(s) are not abiding by this policy, it is his or her responsibility to notify a Residence Life staff member. Guests will need to register with Campus Safety each night in the residence hall lobby.

    The Office of Residence Life discourages students from having overnight guests during the first week of classes. During the first week students are just getting to know their roommates and suitemates. Please respect the other students who share your space and allow everyone the opportunity to get settled before adding another member to your shared space.

    Can I bring a car to campus?
    Back to top.
    Sophomores, juniors and seniors are permitted to bring cars to campus. Learn more about vehicle registration and parking regulations.

    Effective Fall 2015, residential freshmen are not permitted to have cars registered on campus. This includes students who have enough credits to be considered sophomores at any time during their first academic year. (This policy does not apply to local students who live off campus and commute to UT, nor does it apply to students who matriculated prior to Fall 2015.) The University recognizes that some freshmen may have special transportation needs. To apply for an exceptional transportation wavier, contact your admissions counselor.

    All UT students benefit from easy access to the city of Tampa bus system, taxis and the downtown trolley. UT also provides a car rental service.

    Can I bring a bicycle to campus?Back to top.
    Bicycles may be kept in rooms as long as both roommates agree. Bike racks are also located outside residence halls. All students bringing bicycles to campus are asked to register their bicycle with Campus Safety and Security. 

    Are there laundry facilities on campus?Back to top.
    Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall. It costs $1.25 to wash, and $1.25 to dry. It usually takes 45 minutes to dry an average load of clothes. The machines work on a credit or debit card system. Laundry machine issues should be reported via the CSC Serviceworks Repair app, which can be downloaded by using one of the following links: Apple or Android

    To provide a hassle free laundry service option to its students, The University of Tampa has partnered with Tampa Laundry Company, a family-owned Tampa business known for its fresh approach to pick-up and delivery laundry services. There is a laundry list of things to do as a college student. Unfortunately, laundry does not always fit on that list! Leave the laundry to Tampa Laundry Company. They will wash, dry and fold your laundry, all semester long. All you have to do is put your laundry in your Tampa Laundry Company laundry bag, and they will pick it up once a week and drop it off two days later – clean, folded and ready to put away. To sign up or for more information, visit tampalaundry.com.

    Can I choose where I want to live? Back to top.
    Coming in as a first semester student, one application is used to apply for housing. This application does not provide the opportunity to preference certain residence halls due to the high demand for housing from new students. However, continuing students are able to participate in the housing selection process each spring semester to choose their room for the following fall.

    How can I receive my damage deposit back, and how much will I receive? Back to top.

    Students leaving UT housing due to a cancellation, withdrawal or off campus plans can request their damage deposit back by filling out a form on Residence by Symplicity. The highest amount returned is $200; $300 of your initial $500 deposit is nonrefundable. If a student has any previous damages to any rooms occupied, there may be a deduction from the $200 to cover those damages. The form can only be completed once the student is off campus and has been approved by the Office of Residence Life to cancel their housing.

    What if I don't get along with my roommate? Back to top.
    We recommend that students having roommate problems inform their resident assistant (RA) who can mediate or refer them to a mediation coordinator. Residents are permitted to change rooms during the official room change period that will occur after the third week of classes each semester.

    How do I insure my personal belongings?Back to top.
    Since UT is not responsible for loss or damage to personal property from any cause, we recommend that you check to see if your belongings are covered under your family's homeowner's insurance policy. If this is not the case, you may wish to buy renter's insurance, which is reasonably priced. For more information on rental insurance, please visit www.nssi.com/

    Regardless of coverage, items such as your stereo, TV, camera, VCR, refrigerator, computer should be engraved for identification purposes. Engravers are available at each residence hall front desk.

    Does UT have maintenance and custodial services?Back to top.
    The University employs custodial workers to clean bathroom areas, lounges, lobbies, hallways, laundry rooms, study and TV lounges. Residents are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. At the hall desks, vacuum cleaners can be checked out by leaving an ID card. Maintenance problems in student rooms should be reported promptly by completing a Facilities Management Maintenance Request work order online by signing into their UT SpartanWeb account. Maintenance personnel respond in the order that maintenance requests are received. They are unable to predict the exact day and time the repair will be done, but usually complete the work within 24-48 hours of the request, depending on time of the semester. They work Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m., except in cases of emergencies.

    What are quiet hours? | Back to top.
    Quiet hours are in effect from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. on weeknights and 1 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, so you and your neighbors may study and sleep. Residents have many different schedules and lifestyles, but you will find life a lot easier if you respect each other's right to healthy habits. If other students in your hall are bothering you with noise, you have the right (at anytime of day or night) to ask them to be quieter. If trouble persists, feel free to notify your RA, who has the option and authority to set disciplinary procedures in motion. Students are encouraged to keep the volume of their stereos low. As a rule of thumb, residents are encouraged to have no more than three guests per resident visiting their room at any one time, in order to maintain courtesy quiet hours.

    Is soliciting allowed on campus? | Back to top.
    Soliciting (by persons not affiliated with UT) is not permitted in the residence halls. Students should ask salespersons to leave the building if they are approached. If they refuse, call the resident assistant, head resident, area coordinator, assistant director or Campus Safety.