Here is a list of the basic necessities for on-campus living. While many of these may appear obvious, it is still very possible to accidentally forget a few items that may come in handy.
Items to bring:
- Wallet/card holder (to keep your student ID to scan into the residence hall)
- Key chain
- Computer with ethernet/wireless card
- School supplies
- Cell phone
- Cups/plates/utensils (for snacking in the room)
- Sheets (extra long twin)*
- Pillows/pillow cases
- Small refrigerator
- Microwave oven
- HE Laundry detergent**
- Laundry hamper
- Waste basket
- Lysol, disinfecting wipes, bathroom cleaners, etc.
- Read directions thoroughly when using cleaning supplies, as some can NOT be mixed, like bleach and ammonia.
- Razor/shaving cream
- Shower caddy
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand soap
- Extra face masks
- Thermometer (for daily checks)
- Note: Two masks will be available per student and hands-free temperature kiosks will be on-campus.
Items to leave at home:
The following items, if found on campus, are a violation of University policy and will result in a referral to Student Conduct or to the Office of Residence Life:
- All firearms (including, but not limited to, handguns, rifles, pellet guns, BB guns)
- All other weapons (including, but not limited to, swords bow and arrows, balloon slingshots, martial arts weapons, hunting knives)
- Dart boards and darts
- Fireworks or other explosives
- Candles and incense
- Pets (with the exception of fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons, and then only with roommate’s approval)
- Barbecue grills, George Foreman-type grills, and toaster ovens
- Lofts of any kind
- Additional furniture or large items
*You can order your extra long twin sheets, comforters, matching towels and storage items directly through the Residence Hall Linens program. The Value Pak has everything you need for campus living. Don’t forget - ordering from Residence Hall Linens ensures you have extra long twin sheets that fit our extra long beds while supporting Residence Life and RHA programming at UT. Please visit the RHL Website.
**For your convenience, the campus laundry rooms are equipped with High-Efficiency (HE) washers and dryers free of charge. For best results, use HE detergent. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions on the detergent bottle label, since it’s specially formulated for HE machines. With HE washers, less detergent is recommended to get the cleanest clothes. Pre-measured HE liquid packets are also recommended. To provide a hassle free laundry service option to its students, Residence Life has partnered with Tampa Laundry Company, a family-owned Tampa business known for its fresh approach to pick-up and delivery laundry services. To sign up or for more information, visit tampalaundry.com.