Here is a list of the basic necessities for on-campus living. While many of these may appear obvious, it is still very possible to accidentally forget a few items that may come in handy.
Items to bring:
- Wallet/card holder (to keep your student ID to scan into the residence hall)
- Key chain
- Computer with ethernet/wireless card
- School supplies
- Cell phone
- Cups/plates/utensils (for snacking in the room)
- Sheets (extra long twin)*
- Pillows/pillow cases
- Small refrigerator
- Microwave oven
- Laundry detergent**
- Laundry hamper
- Waste basket
- Lysol, disinfecting wipes, bathroom cleaners, etc.
- Razor/shaving cream
- Shower caddy
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand soap
Items to leave at home:
The following items, if found on campus, are a violation of University policy and will result in a referral to Student Conduct or to the Office of Residence Life:
- All firearms (including, but not limited to, handguns, rifles, pellet guns, BB guns)
- All other weapons (including, but not limited to, swords bow and arrows, balloon slingshots, martial arts weapons, hunting knives)
- Dart boards and darts
- Fireworks or other explosives
- Candles and incense
- Pets (with the exception of fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons, and then only with roommate’s approval)
- Barbecue grills, George Foreman-type grills, and toaster ovens
- Lofts of any kind
- Additional furniture or large items
*You can order your extra long twin sheets, comforters, matching towels and storage items directly through the Residence Hall Linens program. The Value Pak has everything you need for campus living. Don’t forget - ordering from Residence Hall Linens ensures you have extra long twin sheets that fit our extra long beds while supporting Residence Life and RHA programming at UT. Please visit the RHL Website.
**To provide a hassle free laundry service option to its students, Residence Life has partnered with Tampa Laundry Company, a family-owned Tampa business known for its fresh approach to pick-up and delivery laundry services. There is a laundry list of things to do as a college student. Unfortunately, laundry does not always fit on that list! Leave the laundry to Tampa Laundry Company. They will wash, dry and fold your laundry, all semester long. All you have to do is put your laundry in your Tampa Laundry Company laundry bag, and they will pick it up once a week and drop it off two days later – clean, folded and ready to put away. To sign up or for more information, visit tampalaundry.com.