Skip to content

Updated: Oct. 12, 2021

What does it mean to be placed on the housing waiting list?  
At this time, housing demand has exceeded our capacity and some students have been placed on a waiting list to receive an on-campus housing assignment. If a housing assignment becomes available, beginning in December, students will be notified via their Spartan email account, and they need to respond by the stated deadline to accept the housing offer. Since placement on the housing waiting list is not guaranteed for on-campus housing and housing offers are made by housing application submission date, students on the waiting list are still encouraged to find off-campus housing. 

If I am on the housing waiting list, what is the likelihood of a room becoming available? 
On a space-available basis, students on the waiting list may be offered a housing assignment based on their housing application submission date. If a housing assignment becomes available on the main campus or in the Barrymore Hotel, students will be notified via their Spartan email account, and they need to respond by the stated deadline to accept the housing offer. The earliest housing offers would be made is in early December.

We will continue to review the waiting list through the first week of classes or until the list is exhausted and make room offers as space becomes available. We understand that students and families may need to make decisions prior to that time.  

Can you tell me where I am on the waiting list? 
Due to the complex nature of the assignments process, we are unable to provide a specific place or number on the waiting list. While we will offer housing to as many students as possible, all students may not receive a housing assignment. We are unable to grant roommate requests for those offered from the waiting list due to limited room availability. 

Doesn’t UT guarantee housing or require that students live on campus? 
Like many selective universities, UT does not guarantee housing and has not done so for more than a decade. UT also does not require that students live on campus. 

How do I look for off-campus housing?  
If you need assistance:  

I have contacted Residence Life; how long of a delay can I expect for a response?  
Residence Life staff are unable to respond to all phone calls and emails at this time due to high volume. However, all communications are being reviewed. We encourage you to revisit this page because it is being regularly updated with new information and answers to questions from students and families. 

I would like to cancel my housing application and be removed from the on-campus waiting list, but still plan to attend UT. How do I do that? 
If you secure off-campus housing and will be enrolled at UT for Spring 2022, complete the Housing Cancellation Request Spring 2022 application in Residence by Symplicity by Nov. 1, 2021. When Residence Life processes your cancellation, the following will occur:  

  • You will be removed from the housing waiting list.
  • Your $200 housing damage deposit will be credited to your student account by Jan. 21, 2022.
  • A $1,000 grant will be applied to your student account for Spring 2022 by Jan. 21, 2022, and another $1,000 grant will be applied to your student account for Fall 2022 by Aug. 15, 2022. Note: To receive both grants, students must complete the Housing Cancellation Request Spring 2022 in Residence by Symplicity by Nov. 1, 2021. To receive the fall grant, students must continue to be enrolled full-time and live off-campus for Fall 2022.

Do I need to reapply if I want to come in the fall? 
Students must reapply for the Fall 2022 semester. Students who have graduated from high school but have not earned college credit after high school graduation may submit a freshman application. Students who have graduated from high school and are attending their first semester or with earned credits must re-apply as a transfer applicant. To re-apply for Fall 2022, students should visit

How do I apply for financial aid if I reapply for admission?
All students will automatically be considered for merit-based aid when accepted to The University of Tampa based upon Fall 2022 scholarship parameters. To apply for need-based aid a new FAFSA  must be submitted and is available now for the 2022-2023 academic year.

I no longer want to attend UT. Can I get my enrollment deposit back? 
If you make this decision, please contact to request your $500 deposit be refunded by Nov. 1, 2021. 

When will I know my housing assignment? 
Housing assignments will be released by Dec. 22, 2021. Students will be notified via their student email account when this information is available on Residence by Symplicity. Move-in appointment scheduling will also be available beginning Dec. 22. 

Students accepting a housing assignment offer after Dec. 10 will be notified of the assignment and move-in appointment scheduling by Jan. 7, 2022.

We will continue to review the waiting list through the first week of classes and contact students if space becomes available. Students on the waiting list are not charged for on-campus housing unless they receive a housing assignment.   

Will I receive a tuition, housing or meal plan grant if I’ve accepted a housing assignment from the waiting list to live on campus for Spring 2022? 
No, you will not receive any financial reimbursement in the form of a credit or grant from the University if you have been offered and accepted an on-campus housing assignment from the housing waiting list. Additionally, continuing students and new students who were not placed on the housing waiting list are not eligible for any financial reimbursement in the form of a credit or grant from the University.

I am on the waiting list; can I be placed in the Barrymore? 
If spaces become available it is likely you will be offered a space at the Barrymore. On-campus assignments depend on availability but are less likely. 

I have an approved housing accommodation through Student Disability Services  and I have been placed on the housing waiting list – can I be moved ahead to receive a housing assignment? 
Students on the waiting list will be offered an assignment based on the date their housing application was submitted. If you are offered an assignment from the waiting list, we will attempt, but not guarantee, to meet your accommodation. 

If I live off campus for Spring 2022, will I be eligible for on-campus housing for Fall 2022?  
New students living off-campus for Spring 2022 are not eligible to participate in the continuing student housing selection process. Your only opportunity to live on campus will be by submitting the Fall 2022 No Guarantee Wait List application that will be available in March 2022.   

What about The Henry? 
The Henry is a high-rise development in downtown that is UT’s preferred off-campus housing option. At this time, it has reached capacity for the Fall 2021/Spring 2022 academic year. However, you may be added to a waitlist by contacting The Henry directly. 

Can I have a car/parking? 
First-year students who live on campus are not able to bring a vehicle to campus. First-year students who commute and live off campus can park on campus. More information about parking can be found on the Vehicle Registration page. First-year students assigned to the Barrymore Hotel must still follow the UT parking policies and are not permitted to register a vehicle.  

Can I still participate in the meal plan if I live off campus? 
Commuters are not required to have a meal plan. But, commuters may elect to have a residential meal plan or a commuter meal plan. This can be requested through Residence Life (using the meal plan change request in Residence by Symplicity) or dining services.   

Are there any opportunities for exceptions? If so, who can I talk to? 
We are not granting exceptions. If space becomes available for an on-campus housing assignment, we will contact you. Please check your Spartan UT email and review these FAQs for the most updated information regarding Spring 2022 housing availability.