Music ensembles at UT are as varied as the many interests of our students and cover the gamut from traditional vocal and instrumental ensembles to ensembles specializing in contemporary styles and sonic experimentation. Music majors and minors participate in ensembles related to their performance area during each semester of private study. The Department of Music also offers college-wide and community-based ensembles. Being part of an ensemble is a great way to enhance your experience at the University.
- Chamber Singers is the premier, mixed vocal ensemble of The University of Tampa. Audition required.
- Camerata Singers is a select chamber choir for treble voices. Audition required.
- OPUS is a select, mixed vocal ensemble specializing in musical theatre repertoire. Audition required.
- Opera Workshop is a select, dramatic vocal ensemble that introduces students to operatic repertoire through participation in staged performances. Audition required.
- University Chorus is a large mixed vocal ensemble that is open to all singers. No audition is required.
- Wind Ensemble is a large concert band with flexible instrumentation. Membership is open to all UT students with high school band experience. A placement audition is held at the beginning of fall semester.
- Jazz Ensemble is a traditional big-band of saxophones, trumpets, trombones and rhythm section. Membership is by audition.
- Spartan Band is UT’s pep band. Membership is open to all UT students with high school band experience that are enrolled in either the Wind Ensemble or Jazz Ensemble.
- Symphony Orchestra is a large orchestra with standard symphonic instrumentation. Membership is open to all UT students as well as select community musicians, by audition.
- String Chamber Ensembles are small ensembles comprised of strings and sometimes additional instruments (e.g., string quartet, piano trio, etc.). Membership is by faculty approval.
- Classical Guitar Ensemble is the main performance group for classical guitar students at UT and includes majors, minors and non-majors. Membership is by faculty approval.
- Performance Class is an ensemble for piano students at UT where students perform solo repertoire and pieces for ensembles of pianists. Membership is by faculty approval.
- World Drumming Ensemble is a popular class at UT, where students learn hand-drumming techniques from non-Western cultures in a fun, high-energy performance ensemble. No audition required.
- Studio Production Ensemble gives students hands-on experience with music production. Ensemble members exchange roles as performers, recording engineers, composers/arrangers and producers to learn the craft of writing, performing and recording popular music in the studio. No audition required, but enrollment requires basic performance skill and a prerequisite course in recording and electronic music.
- Interactive Arts Ensemble is a performance-driven creative workshop for physical interaction design, real-time video art, experimental musical instrument building, laptop ensembles, mobile phone orchestras and creative repurposing of technology for interdisciplinary performance. No audition required.
The largest Ars Sonora® in the world and the first of its kind in the U.S. This grand musical sculpture will soar over 105 feet in the center of campus.