- Improve performance and musicianship skills
- Take master classes with UT music faculty (literature and tips for your instrument, warm-up and technique, how to prepare for auditions, etc.)
- Play in a large band conducted by music educators and a smaller ensemble (small ensemble concerts between 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. on Friday - parents welcome!)
- Electives are being reviewed currently. With the new building and construction in process we may not have the facilities to offer all. Choose a music elective such as Master Musician, Beginning Piano, Jazz Improvisation, World Drumming, Band Leadership (*for 2020 -2021 band officers only)
- Private lesson option (additional cost paid to instructor)
- Enjoy meals in a UT dining hall
- Music for placement auditions on the first day of camp will consist of the music downloaded from this page and sight-reading. (Music Link will be posted/emailed)
- Be a Day Camper or Resident Camper (overnight)
- Resident campers follow the daily schedule noted below and continue with music events and other structured activities through the evening; all meals are provided. Resident campers are housed in a UT residence hall overnight Sunday—Thursday with expert and caring supervision. The resident/overnight camp counselors are experienced public school music teachers with Level II clearance.
UT Band Camp 2020 - CANCELED
When: June 14-19, 2020
The UT Band Camp is a comprehensive music camp for woodwind, brass and percussion students entering grades 7-12 in Fall 2020. Sponsored by the Department of Music at The University of Tampa, Band Camp is led by Brandon McDannald, UT director of bands and music education.
Fred Gebhardt Music Leadership Camp will not be hosted at UT this Summer 2020. Band directors will be responsible for Fred Gebhardt Music Leadership Camp registrations. Leadership Camp is exclusively for high school music officers (drum majors, section leaders, elected or appointed officers certified by their directors) serving in the upcoming school year.
Our goal is to make better musicians in five days!
Summer 2020 Audition Music (same music as last year)
To begin, complete the online application form. Once completed, you will be directed to a PayPal payment page, or if paying by money order (part 2 of 2), you will need to print the page and mail it to the Department of Music. Complete instructions are provided in the registration documents.
UT Band Camp registration forms and payment are due by June 1. A $50 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of registration. After June 1, registrations will be taken as space allows.
*Gebhardt Leadership Camp registration forms will be handled by the students' band director and will NOT be offered at UT this summer. *
Registration Fee (paid by June 1, 2020):
- Day Camper: $275*
- Resident Camper: $475*
*A $50 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of registration. Late registration will be accepted as space allows.
Discounts are available for documented musical achievements along with scholarships.
We are currently waiting on our sponsor to provide funds before offering any scholarships. This year our director will evaluate each camper who may need financial assistance individually and provide assistance if needed.
Hillsborough County Master Musicians:
Master Musician (MM) checks will be sent directly to MM Camp Scholarship recipientsby the Secondary Music Council as a partial “refund” of camp expenses. UT will certify to Ted Hope, secondary music supervisor, that a MM recipient has fully enrolled in UT Band Camp before checks are sent.
- 2 p.m. Check-in - Commuter Campers
- 3 p.m. Meeting for Commuter Campers in Sykes Chapel and Music Theory Placement Exam / Seating Auditions will follow
- 3:30 p.m. Resume Check-in - Resident Campers
- 4 p.m. Meeting for Resident Campers in Sykes Chapel and Music Theory Placement Exam / Seating Auditions will follow
- Day campers picked up between 4:30-6 p.m. after their audition
- Resident campers: dinner and evening activities
- 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Daily Schedule: The music building opens each morning at 8:00 a.m. Monday-Friday. For all students, the weekday instruction begins at 8:30 a.m., please be in your seat at your assigned location with all materials you will need by 8:25 a.m.
- 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Small chamber concerts will be held during master class times which can vary depending on instrument.
- 7th Grade Campus Band Master Class Recital: Sykes Chapel at 11 a.m.
- 8th - 9th Grade Concert Band Master Class Recital: Sykes Chapel at 12:30 p.m.
- 9th - 12th Grade Symphonic and Wind Ensemble Band Master Class Recital: Sykes Chapel at 1:40 p.m.
- Grande Finale Concerts, middle school bands at 5 p.m., high school bands at 7 p.m.
Sunday, June 16: Day campers are dismissed after they have checked-in, completed the music theory placement exam and seating audition.
Monday-Thursday: Pick up students outside of the Ferman Music Center at 5 p.m.
1st Concert: Campus Band (7th graders) and Concert Band (8th and 9th grade) from 5-6:15 p.m.
2nd Concert: Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Students' concert times are determined by band placement on the first day of camp.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend their student's Grand Finale Concert on Friday evening (admission is free, videotaping is permitted).
- Students leave with parents following their concert at Falk Theatre. Resident students' belongings will be at Falk Theatre for pick-up.