Skip to content

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA/CH 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.

How do I apply for benefits?

Visit, navigate to "how do I apply" and click on "find your education benefits form." After reading the instructions select the appropriate option to apply for VA educational benefits.

How do I get started with UT?* A copy of veteran's social security card required on file.

Have you used the Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA/CH 35) benefit at another school?
NO: Email your certificate of eligibility (COE) to
YES: Email your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and confirmation of your VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program/Location of Training to

*A copy of veteran's social security card required on file. 

What does the Veterans Certifying Official do?

Your Veterans Certifying Official (VCO) electronically submits "VA Form 22-1999 Enrollment Certification" to notify the VA that you are currently registered for classes. The VCO will certify your enrollment every term prior to the start of each term. The VCO will also monitor your enrollment and report changes in enrollment to the VA. Changes in enrollment may create adjustments in your benefits payout and/or a debt.

When will I get paid?

You should get paid starting the month following your first month of class and then every month thereafter. Payments for DEA-CH 35 are considered "in arrears," meaning you will get paid at the first of the month for the month that you just finished.

How much will I get paid?

Please visit for the VA's rate tables. Navigate to "Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35) and select the current rate.

Are there any other funding options?

It is recommended that all students file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA determines your eligibility for all federal, state and UT need-based aid programs. You should complete the FAFSA as soon after Oct. 1 as possible for the following academic year. Detailed information regarding financial aid can be found on UT's Financial Aid page.

Florida residents should also look into the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans (CSDDV) which provides an award to dependent children or un-remarried spouses of qualified Florida veterans. More information can be found on the Florida Student Scholarship Grant Programs website. The application deadline is April 1.

Other outside resources include Military One Source and military scholarships. The Financial Aid Office also provides a list of some outside scholarships on the Outside Scholarships page.

Do I have to pay my UT bill ahead of time while receiving DEA-CH 35 benefits?

Yes. Your DEA benefits are meant to subsidize your college tuition expenses and payments are sent directly to you. The VA does not send any payments to UT. You must pay your invoice for tuition, fees, housing, and meals by the published deadlines each term.

I am also eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® - CH 33. Can I use CH 35 and CH 33 at the same time?

The VA does not allow students to utilize both CH 35 - DEA and CH 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits during the same term. You will need to decide which Chapter you want to use and notify the VCO.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).