Skip to content

Under the Montgomery GI Bill, Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

How do I apply for benefits?

Visit, navigate to "how to apply" and then click "find your education benefits form." After reading the instructions, select the appropriate option to apply for VA educational benefits.

How do I get started with UT?

Have you used the Montgomery GI Bill® at another school?
NO: Email your DD-214 (if separated) and your COE to
YES: Email your DD-214 (if separated), your COE, AND the confirmation number for submitting your VA Form 22-1995.

What does the Veterans Certifying Official do?

Your Veterans Certifying Official submits online form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, to notify the VA that you're currently registered and attending classes.

When will I get paid?

You should get paid starting the month following your first month of class and then every month thereafter. Payments for CH 30 are considered "in arrears," meaning you will get paid at the end of the month for the month that you just finished.

Are there any other funding options?

It is recommended that all students file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA determines your eligibility for all federal, state and UT need-based aid programs. You should complete the FAFSA as soon after Oct. 1 as possible for the following academic year. Detailed information regarding financial aid can be found on UT's Financial Aid page.

Other outside resources include Military One Source and military scholarships. The Financial Aid Office also provides a list of some outside scholarships on its Outside Scholarships page.

What's the WAVE?

WAVE – Web Automated Verification of Enrollment. In order to continue getting paid every month for the CH 30 you must verify your attendance on the last day of every month by logging in or calling the WAVE system.

How much will I get paid?

Please visit payment rates.

Do I have to pay my UT tuition ahead of time while receiving Montgomery GI Bill® benefits?

Yes. You must pay your invoice for tuition, fees, housing and books by the published deadlines each term. Your Montgomery GI Bill benefits are meant to subsidize your expenses.

Should I convert to Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33?

It depends on your specific situation:

  • How many years of service do you have after Sept. 11, 2001?
    • Those with less than 36 months aggregate active service after Sept. 11, 2001, will not be eligible at the 100 percent level. This means you will only collect a percentage of the benefits available under CH 33. Find out if you will get paid more at the fixed Montgomery GI Bill rate, or at a percentage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.
  • How many months of school do you have left? (Do you plan to continue to the graduate or post-graduate level?)
    • If you have more months of college than months of GI Bill left, then you may want to finish your Montgomery GI Bill, then apply for the 12-month extension of benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
    • If you have fewer months of college than months of GI Bill left, then you may want to convert to the Post 9/11 GI Bill now.

Visit and look for the Benefits Comparison Tools to help you discover what's right for you.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).