The University of Tampa commits to being an inclusive learning community characterized by the purposeful development and utilization of curricula and organizational resources that enable respect for the dignity and contributions of all members.
- A centralized approach to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts
- Optimize the use of resource allocation toward DEI efforts
- Greater campus diversity across staff, faculty and students
- Institutional emphasis upon inclusive and equitable practices throughout the operations
Educational Equity: All community members have access to the right resources they need at the right moment in their education, regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, language, religion, family background, or family income.
- We develop this type of environment by understanding the socio-historical, policy, and institutional context. The culmination of these contexts creates the overtone for climate around inclusion within our community. The overtone of the climate is either supported or challenged by the experiences that an individual has in the community.
- These experiences are as simple as seeing a visible representation of their identity at all levels within the institution
- A welcome/introduction/onboarding/orientation that invites them to show up authentically and reinforces that their experiences and perspectives are valued and will be taken seriously, not just tolerated
- Clear investment in paths of growth and development
- Equity-minded approach
- Principle 1: Clarity in language, goals, and measures
- Principle 2: Equity-mindedness as a guide
- Principle 3: Design to accommodate, not to treat everyone the same
- Principle 4: Learn continuously, disaggregate data, and question assumptions
- Principle 5: Equity should be pervasive and institution-wide
Current Strategic Priorities of the Chief Diversity Officer
- Partner with key offices and stakeholders to recruit and retain community members from diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences.
- Develop a campus climate and culture of inclusion and belonging for all community members.
- Develop local and national partnerships that support the institutional commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.