Published: April 30, 2019
UT to Hold Spring Commencement for 1,400 Students on May 11
The University of Tampa will honor more than 1,400 students at its 148th commencement on Saturday, May 11, during two separate ceremonies at the Florida State Fairgrounds Expo Hall.
The ceremony for graduates of the Sykes College of Business and the College of Arts and Letters will take place at 9:30 a.m., and the ceremony for graduates of the College of Social Sciences, Mathematics and Education and the College of Natural and Health Sciences will follow at 2 p.m.
Between the two ceremonies, there are 1,255 bachelor’s degree candidates and 160 master’s degree candidates — 1,415 in all.
At the morning ceremony, Erica Shames ’78, president and founder of Susquehanna Life magazine, will give the address.
In the afternoon ceremony, Paul Heth ’90, principal and CEO of Patton Media, non-executive chairman of Karo Film Holdings and managing general partner of Monumental Films, will give the address, and Adam Jones ’04, senior vice president of strategy and development for the Miami Marlins, will receive the 2019 Alumni Achievement Award.
UT Graduates by the Numbers
Total graduates – 1,415
Countries represented – 65
% of graduates from Florida – 39
Total bachelor’s degree candidates – 1,255
Summa cum laude (GPA 4.0) – 7
Magna cum laude (GPA 3.75 or higher, but less than 4.0) – 139
Cum laude (GPA 3.5 or higher, but less than 3.75) – 182
Top 3 most popular undergraduate majors in this class – Management, Finance and Marketing
Total master’s candidates – 160
With honors (GPA 3.9 or higher, but less than 4.0) – 9
With highest honors (GPA 4.0) – 19
MBAs awarded – 39
Several graduate programs have hooding and awards ceremonies scheduled in the days leading up to and after commencement:
- Thursday, May 9:
- Master of Science in Nursing, hooding and pinning ceremony, 6 p.m., Plant Hall, Fletcher Lounge
- Friday, May 10:
- Sykes College of Business hooding and awards ceremony, 6 p.m., Martinez Athletics Center
- College of Social Sciences, Mathematics and Education hooding ceremony, 6 p.m., Vaughn Center, Crescent Club
- Master of Science in Exercise and Nutrition Science hooding and awards ceremony, 11 a.m., Plant Hall, Music Room
- Friday, June 21:
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing hooding ceremony, 6 p.m., Vaughn Center, Crescent Club
For more information about UT Commencement, see www.ut.edu/commencement.