Skip to content

Continuing and new transfer students are assigned to a faculty advisor by the Academic Advising Office (AAO). Freshman students are advised by their assigned AAO advisor for the first year. After their freshman year, students may choose an advisor within their major area of study. Continuing students are required to be cleared for registration by their faculty advisor each semester in order to register for future courses. New transfer students need to refer to the new student registration information for instructions.

Faculty advisors are assigned to help students plan a meaningful academic program. Each designated advisor is a professor who teaches in the student's major field of study. Only a student's designated faculty advisor can approve the student for online registration.

Students should use their advisors' expertise and knowledge of the University, not only at registration time, but also when academic questions or problems arise.

How to Change Advisor

  • Fill out the Change of Faculty Advisor form.
  • If you have a faculty that you would like to be your advisor obtain required signature from the faculty member and upload it to the form.
  • First-year students enrolled in First-Year Seminar may not change advisors until they have completed BAC 102/HON 102.

How to Change Major/Minor

  • Major/minor changes are now in Workday.
  • Instructions on how to complete a major/minor change can be found on SpartanNet.
  • With change of major, students are recommended to change to an advisor within their new major.