Offered by the UT Sykes College of Business’ nationally acclaimed Lowth Entrepreneurship Center, the Master of Science in Entrepreneurship builds the critical business and entrepreneurial skills needed to develop and launch new enterprises. The program also appeals to professionals who wish to incorporate innovation and vision into existing companies, or to engage in social entrepreneurship. The program emphasizes experiential learning. Students may focus on their own projects throughout the curriculum, or team with companies in UT’s incubator and accelerator programs. When students enter the program, a customized approach to their learning is developed by faculty advisors, with the goal of helping them reach their personal objectives.
- Gain the essential skills to successfully plan and launch your own venture
- Work with faculty and expert advisors in UT’s renowned Lowth Entrepreneurship Center
- Through UT’s incubator and accelerator programs, get hands-on experience working with early-stage businesses and student entrepreneurs
- Create lasting connections with fellow entrepreneurs, investors and advisors
- Use program assignments and activities to hone your business plan and investor presentation skills
- Present to investors and potentially raise capital for your business
Cutting-Edge Graduate Curriculum
- Preparing for the Entrepreneurial Journey
- Creativity and Innovation for Entrepreneurs
- Selecting and Developing a Business Model
- New Venture Finance
- Entrepreneurial Marketing
- Legal Environment of Entrepreneurial Ventures
- Leading and Managing New Ventures
- Communicating with Investors and Partners
See the UT catalog for required courses.
The M.S. in Entrepreneurship is an experiential program that emphasizes active learning in the classroom and immediate, real-world applications. Students are encouraged and enabled to work on developing and launching their own ventures. The program is shaped around five key learning strategies:
Collaboration: Peer-to-peer learning allows budding entrepreneurs to get immediate feedback from their classmates and advisors. As business developers and owners, they also collaborate with one another to form mutually beneficial partnerships.
Coaching and mentoring: Each student receives in-depth coaching and mentoring from a variety of experts and advisors, including the program director, professors, entrepreneurs-in-residence and local business owners.
Reflection: Student are asked to keep a journal to track their learning and awareness, and to schedule time for reflection and creative thought. Important lessons can be learned by analyzing both successes and failures.
Apprenticeship: Students are encouraged to not only observe and work with practicing entrepreneurs in the Lowth Entrepreneurship Center, but to also start their own company while enrolled in the program.
Multiple practice: Entrepreneurship is a practice that changes from day to day and from business to business. Students learn that creativity and problem-solving skills can be improved over time and with perseverance.
Lowth Entrepreneurship Center
Throughout their time at UT, M.S. in Entrepreneurship students either work on their own projects or team with companies in the Lowth Entrepreneurship Center’s incubator and accelerator programs. They also benefit from participating in regular pitch sessions and competitions and networking events.
UT's Lowth Entrepreneurship Center has recently received several national, competitive awards for its high quality and innovative programming. These include:
- 2016 Model Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Program in the U.S. (awarded by the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE))
- 2015 Award for Excellence in Entrepreneurship Teaching and Pedagogical Innovation (awarded by the Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers)
- 2014 Outstanding Emerging Entrepreneurship Program in U.S. (awarded by USASBE)
Student Organizations and Activities
From their first day on campus through graduation and beyond, M.S. in Entrepreneurship students have access to a wide variety of programming, including:
- UT Entrepreneurs
- UT CREATE
- CEO Council Business Plan Competition
- Southeastern Entrepreneurship Conference (SEEC)
- Today’s Entrepreneurial Women
- Main Street Speaker Series
Sykes College of Business
The Sykes College of Business is an integral part of a 110-acre university campus nestled in the heart of Tampa. As a comprehensive institution, The University of Tampa provides a full spectrum of resources, qualified faculty and modern facilities.
The Sykes College of Business is one of the elite private schools in the Southeast accredited at both the graduate and undergraduate levels by AACSB International (the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). AACSB International is the premier business accrediting organization, promoting excellence and continuous improvement in undergraduate and graduate education.