Skip to content

A wide variety of financial assistance is available in the form of scholarships, grants and loans to undergraduates. In fact, more than 90 percent of UT undergraduates receive some type of financial aid.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for any type of need-based aid or loan. Learn more about how to apply for financial aid. Dependent students must include parental information on the FAFSA. UT’s FAFSA school code is 001538.

For more information about the disbursement of aid please see Award Notifications.

Types of Aid for Undergraduates

UT Scholarships and Grants: Generous scholarships and grants based on academic achievement, talent and financial need are available to new undergraduates (domestic and international). Applicants to UT's full-time undergraduate program are automatically considered for academic scholarships.

Outside Scholarships: Many UT students receive outside scholarships. View our outside scholarship list, check with your high school guidance counselor or search the web.

Aid for Florida Residents: All full-time undergraduate Florida residents receive the Effective Access to Student Education (EASE) Grant. Many other types of Florida aid are also available. Proof of Florida residency for one year prior to enrollment is necessary to qualify.

Federal Grants: Annual awards for federal need-based programs, such as Pell, SEOG and TEACH grants, range from $500 to more than $5,000.

Loans: All undergraduates enrolled in at least half-time (6 credit hours per term) qualify for some type of federal loan (FAFSA required). Students also may borrow funds through private sources or alternative loans.

Veterans Benefits: UT covers up to 100 percent of the tuition and fees of veterans eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program. Learn more about this and the many other veterans benefits available.

Employment: More than 500 jobs are available on campus. UT's location in downtown Tampa helps provide many off-campus jobs. Note: Federal immigration laws prevent international students from working off campus.

Excessive Awards

Students who receive scholarships, grants or even loans from outside sources may not receive funding that exceeds the cost of attendance (as determined by the Financial Aid Office) when combined with the rest of the financial aid award package.

Scholarships and other awards received from University and non-University sources must be included toward meeting “need” if “need-based” assistance is part of an award. The receipt of outside or additional funds may result in a reduction or change of funds already awarded.

The Financial Aid Office will make every effort to minimize the impact of additional aid sources to aid previously awarded. If it becomes necessary to adjust a student's financial aid award, loans and work-study funds are adjusted first. Scholarships and grants are adjusted only after all other options are exhausted. 

Students must notify the Financial Aid Office of any private or outside scholarships and awards. The Financial Aid Office can assist in administering the funds and evaluate whether any changes to other aid awarded are necessary. Please refer to your financial aid counselor for additional information in regards to the cost of attendance, "need" and how financial aid can be affected and adjusted in these types of situations.

Other Resources

Education tax credits including American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning can help pay for college. Form 1098-T will help identify tax credits.

Payment options include credit card payments, monthly installments or deferred payments with the Employee Reimbursement Payment Plan. Benefits are available for veterans, medically disabled students or family members of University faculty and staff.