The University of Tampa Department of Education’s reputation for curricular quality and real-world results sets it apart among education programs, providing students with a respected degree that serves them throughout their careers. The education department develops students into teachers who are prepared to create compelling learning environments, both in the state of Florida and at the national level.
The Department of Education earned accreditation from the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), the standards of which are rigorous, nationally recognized and developed to ensure excellence in educator preparation programs. Educator preparation providers seeking accreditation must pass peer review on five standards, which are based on two principles:
- Solid evidence that the provider’s graduates are competent and caring educators, and
- Solid evidence that the provider’s teacher-educator faculty have the capacity to create a culture of evidence and use it to maintain and enhance the quality of the professional programs they offer.
UT was granted accreditation for the maximum amount of time given — seven years — across all six of its undergraduate teacher preparation programs.
CAEP is the sole accrediting body for educator preparation nationally recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Accreditation is a nongovernmental activity based on peer review that serves the dual functions of assuring quality and promoting improvement. CAEP was created by the consolidation of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Teacher Education Accreditation Council. It is a unified accreditation system intent on raising the performance of all institutions focused on educator preparation. Approximately 720 educator preparation providers participate in the CAEP Accreditation system, including some previously accredited through former standards.
The following undergraduate programs offered in the Education Department are accredited by CAEP:
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with ESOL Endorsement and Reading Endorsement (K-6)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary English Education with ESOL Endorsement (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Mathematics Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Biology Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Secondary Social Science Education (6-12)
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Education (K-12)
The following graduate program offered in the Education Department is accredited by CAEP:
- Department of Education - Education Degrees
- Admission to Teacher Education
- Education Faculty
- Education Major Requirements
- Graduate Education Programs
- Student Organizations
- Teaching Internships
- Anti-racism and Diversity Resources for Educators
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations Guide
- Professional Education Licensure Disclosures
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)