The Bachelor of Science in Secondary Social Science Education program provides students with the academic knowledge, learning strategies and teaching approaches needed to be successful social science teachers. Social science education candidates will gain certification to teach social studies, grades 6 through 12.
For more information on classes and the secondary social science education program, check out our Secondary Social Science Education Quick Help Guide.
Topics of Study
The University of Tampa’s secondary social science education program focuses on:
- teaching history
- teaching geography, economics and the behavioral sciences
- teaching civic education and global education
- exploring the experiential, ideological, theoretical and relational dimensions of student teaching
- creating instructional units
- implementing technology in the classroom
- building classroom communities
- understanding classroom ethics and law
- assisting learners with special needs
- creating assessments and evaluations
- applying multicultural theory in the classroom
- integrating curriculum
- General Knowledge Test (GK): All candidates must take and pass all sections of this exam to be admitted into UT’s Department of Education.
- Professional Education, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All candidates must pass the professional education exam to become a certified teacher.
- Social Science Subject Area, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All secondary social science candidates must pass this exam to become certified teachers of social studies (grades 6-12).
Student Leadership Activities
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society for Education
- Student Leadership Group (B.E.L.I.E.V.E.)