The Bachelor of Science in Secondary Mathematics Education program provides students with the academic knowledge, learning strategies and teaching approaches needed to be successful mathematics teachers. Mathematics education candidates will gain certification to teach math, grades 6 through 12.
For more information on classes and the secondary mathematics education program, check out our Secondary Mathematics Education Quick Help Guide.
Topics of Study
The University of Tampa’s secondary mathematics education program focuses on:
- teaching numerical concepts
- developing units for algebra, geometry, fractional patterns, probability and statistics
- implementing problem-solving instruction
- motivating mathematics learning
- exploring the experiential, ideological, theoretical and relational dimensions of student teaching
- creating instructional units
- implementing technology in the classroom
- building classroom communities
- understanding classroom ethics and law
- assisting learners with special needs
- creating assessments and evaluations
- applying multicultural theory in the classroom
- integrating curriculum
In order to become a certified teacher, candidates must pass three examinations. One of the tests will be built into the admission process for the Department of Education. The remaining two exams will be required for graduation. The exams mathematics education majors must pass include:
- General Knowledge Test (GK): All candidates must take and pass all sections of this exam to be admitted into UT’s Department of Education.
- Professional Education, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All candidates must pass the professional education exam to become a certified teacher.
- Mathematics Subject Area, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All secondary mathematics candidates must pass this exam to become certified teachers of math (grades 6-12).
Student Leadership Activities
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society for Education
- Student Leadership Group (B.E.L.I.E.V.E.)
- Department of Education - Education Degrees
- Admission to Teacher Education
- Education Faculty
- Education Major Requirements
- Graduate Education Programs
- Student Organizations
- Teaching Internships
- Anti-racism and Diversity Resources for Educators
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations Guide
- Professional Education Licensure Disclosures