There are a variety of resources to assist faculty and support them in their teaching efforts. Included on this page are the most updated faculty handbook and links to documents and websites related to: professional development; teaching resources; health and wellness matters; experiential learning support; assessments of learning and teaching; and awards and recognitions.
Florida Undergraduate Research Council
Council on Undergraduate Research - Learning Through Research
The Qualtrics Success Kit contains useful tools developed by leading researchers to help you address today's most pressing research challenges along with survey templates that can be use immediately.
Zotero is a free and open-source citation manager. Watch this demo on Zotero.
Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network.
Refworks is an online research management, writing and collaboration tool with tutorials located on the UT Library Web page.
- Tomorrow’s Professor is an e-newsletter produced by Stanford University's Center for Teaching and Learning. The center provides 100 e-newsletters a year and offers a free subscription service.
- Faculty Focus provides higher ed teaching strategies and several blogs.
- National Education Association provides best practices in teaching and learning strategies.
- Insider Higher Ed contains a teaching and learning section with ideas and information on teaching with technology.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education offers current news, top global stories and many blogs such as ProfHacker - a blog on teaching, tech and productivity.
- American Association of University Professors provides guidelines for academic research and other fundamental professional standards for higher education.
- Educause highlights focus areas on teaching and learning.
- Merlot – Multimedia educational learning and teaching is a collection of teaching, learning and faculty development services provided by an international education community.
- Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship's checklist for implementing service-learning in higher education.
- Video – What is a MOOC? Massive Open Online Course
- The Citation Project is a multi-institution research project responding to educators’ concerns about plagiarism and the teaching of writing.
Technology Tools and Apps
- Online communication using VoiceThread, a Web-based platform that allows online group communication.
- Making handouts with notes from PowerPoint.
- Jing: A Tool for Screen and Video Capture allows you to select any part of your screen for ease of copying.
- Poll Everywhere: Using Mobile Response Technology with ease in the classroom during presentations.
- Embedding YouTube Videos into PowerPoint
- Twitter Shortcuts and Advanced Features
- Canva: An Amateur Graphic Design Tool
- Tagxedo: Multiple uses for this word cloud tool
- Shortening Long URLs
- Video: Starting a blog on Wordpress
- Video: Using Prezi to Present as an alternative to PowerPoint.
- Socrative student assessment tool - laptops, tablets and smartphone accessible
- Teacherkit: An app to keep up with attendance and grades
- Story Map is a free tool to help you tell stories on the Web that highlight the locations of a series of events. It's a great way to integrate and make public research and writing for the Web.
Teaching, Learning and Sharing: How Today’s Higher Education Faculty Use Social Media
Mike Moran, Jeff Seaman, Ph.D., Hester Tinti-Kane
Exam Wrappers: Helping Your Students to Learn
Exam wrappers are short questionnaires that students complete when an exam is returned to them. These exam wrappers direct students to review their performance (and the instructor’s feedback) with an eye toward adapting their future learning.
Sample Exam Wrapper
Blogs and Wikis as Instructional Tools
Jude Higdon and Chad Topaz, 2009
Using Graphic Organizers to Improve Teaching and Learning
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2012
Integrated Course Designs
L. Dee Fink
University of Oklahoma, 2005
Twelve Tips for using Podcasts in Medical Education
Medical Teacher, 2009
Twelve Tips for the use of a White Board in Clinical Teaching
Medical Teacher, 2007
The Pen is Mightier than the Keyboard: Advantages of Longhand over Laptop Note Taking
Pam Mueller and Daniel Oppenheimer
Psychological Science, 2014