Skip to content

Living On Campus

Living on campus is convenient and a great way to meet friends and become involved in campus life. All students may request on-campus accommodations. Residence halls are usually closed during the break between fall and spring terms. Other housing arrangements should be made during this time, but you may leave personal belongings in your room if you will be keeping the same room assignment for the spring term. Students not remaining for summer courses should arrange to store belongings elsewhere during the summer months. All students living on campus must provide proof they have received a meningitis vaccination within the past five years before they will be allowed access to the residence halls.

Living Off Campus

If you plan to live off campus, arrive a week or two before classes to allow time to look for housing. Arrange to stay at a hotel during this time. Reservations are necessary. Off-campus housing cannot be arranged by mail, but you may want to check the following website before arriving: 

CORT is a furniture rental company for international students and scholars, offering different services to help students assimilate in the U.S. faster. Those services include the following:

  • Finding a Home: Housing options that meet your preferences and lifestyle needs. CORT will help ensure accommodations in the right community for you for shorter periods of time than typical contracts. Apartment Search
  • Furniture Rental: CORT provides a broad array of furniture rental selections and prices.
  • Houseware Needs: CORT provides necessities for a quick and seamless adjustment to your new home for smoother assimilation.

For more information, go to or call (512) 900-6898.

Things to Know When Renting an Apartment

Most landlords (managers of rental property) require both personal visits and the signing of a lease (a type of housing contract). You might also want to look at Questions To Ask Before Renting An Apartment. Be prepared to pay the first month’s rent and security deposit, which is often equal to a whole month’s rent. If you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number or credit history, the security deposit may be larger. You may also need to pay deposits for utilities, such as telephone and electricity. Most apartments are not furnished, so remember to budget for furniture as well as household and kitchen items.

Most students who live off campus purchase a car. The public transportation system in Tampa, and for most places in the United States, is very limited. Although bus service is available, buses do not run late in the evening, which may affect students with night classes. Taxis are expensive, and there are few apartments within walking distance of the University. If you buy a car, there will be additional costs such as automobile insurance (expensive for persons under 25 years of age), maintenance and annual license tags. (For information on how to obtain a driver's license, go to:

If you decide to live off campus or move to a new location, please be sure to log into SpartanNet and submit your change of address request. In order to maintain F-1 student status, international students must submit their change of address to the International Programs Office within 10 days of moving to a new address.


If you are looking for a roommate, please note that UT does not have an off-campus roommate matching service. Here are some ways to connect with other students who may also be interested in finding roommates: