Skip to content

The Social Security Administration (SSA) will only issue Social Security numbers to F-1 student visa holders or J-1 exchange visitors who actually have an on-campus job or have a firm promise of a job on-campus that will begin in the near future, or to those students authorized for Curricular Practical Training or with Employment Authorization Document (EAD) cards issued for Optional Practical Training or economic necessity.

If the applicants do not have a job or commitment of a job, they will not be issued a Social Security number. Social Security will not accept applications more than 30 days in advance of the employment start date.

Documents to Take to the Social Security Administration

  • Valid Passport (except Canadian citizens)
  • I-94 Card
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Employer’s letter stating the following:
    • Name of student
    • Name of employer
    • Date that employment will begin
    • Type of employment and number of hours per week
    • Signature of hiring authority
  • Certification of full-time enrollment and eligibility for employment from a Designated School Official (DSO). Students on J visas will need to get this letter from their sponsor.

Location of the Social Security Administration

The nearest office to The University of Tampa is located on Frontage Road East. Take Cypress Street past Westshore Boulevard. Turn right at the first stoplight past Westshore Blvd., which is Frontage Road East. The office is 2/10 of a mile from Cypress on the right.

For Hartline Bus users: Take Bus #10 to Frontage Road
Address: 3415 Frontage Road East, Tampa, FL 33607
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Note: Since all persons seeking cards must be verified by immigration authorities, there will be a delay before getting your card. You may begin employment before getting the Social Security card if you get a receipt from the Social Security Administration showing that the application has been made but wages may be delayed until the actual card is received.