UT has developed a variety of clinical placements for students to experience a wide range of clinical training. Five-week clinical rotation training occurs in the following areas: family medicine, inpatient medicine, emergency medicine, women’s medicine, pediatric medicine, surgical medicine and behavioral medicine.
Students will complete two elective clinical training experiences. These can occur in traditional clinical settings or focus on other areas such as health care leadership, professional development, research, forensics, disaster medicine, academic medicine and military medicine.
UT has partnered with the following medical care providers through system-wide affiliation agreements to allows students to complete clinical rotations at both inpatient hospitals and outpatient clinics:
- Tampa General Hospital, named the best hospital in the Tampa metro area and ranked in the top 50 nationwide in six specialties by U.S. News & World Report for 2017-2018.
- Tampa General Medical Group, an affiliate of Tampa General Hospital that includes physicians specializing in cardiology, digestive disorders, endocrinology, family practice, hepatology, internal medicine, organ transplantation, pediatrics and surgery.
- HCA West Florida, a comprehensive network of 16 hospitals with 21 ER locations, 14 surgery centers and 21 graduate education programs that offer a complete continuum of specialized health programs and services.
- BayCare Medical Group, the Tampa Bay area’s leading multi-specialty group with more than 575 providers practicing 46 specialties in over 190 outpatient locations and 14 hospitals, as well as services such as imaging, lab, behavioral health and home health care.
- Florida Orthopaedic Institute, a one-stop shop for orthopedic care based in a 100,000-sq.-ft. facility on a 12-acre campus that includes a state-of-the-art orthopaedic surgery center.
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay, whose mission is to bring help, hope and healing to people facing serious life challenges or trauma resulting from sexual assault, suicidal thoughts, domestic violence, financial distress or emotional or situational problems. This partnership allows students to learn the fundamentals of community mental health and to become aware of the resources available to patients when faced with a crisis.
- Sarasota Memorial Healthcare System is a regional referral center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care, with more than 900,000 patient visits each year. The SMH hospitals and outpatient centers provide superior patient outcomes and a complete continuum of outpatient services.
- MacDill Air Force Base 6th Medical Group Clinics provide medical care, health and wellness services to a population of more than 215,000 Department of Defense beneficiaries throughout the greater Tampa Bay area.
- Florida Hospital Tampa is a 475-bed facility that focuses resources on major disease areas, including cancer treatment, women’s health, pediatrics, diabetes management and orthopedics.
All clinical rotations are located within the Central Florida area.
The clinical team is actively seeking out additional partnerships with hospitals, clinics and medical providers in the Central Florida area.
PA students are not required to provide or solicit clinical sites or preceptors.
The PA program will coordinate clinical site and preceptor placement for required rotation based on the education needs of the student.
- Physician Assistant Medicine
- Program Costs
- Program Graduate Competencies
- Clinical Placements
- Program Policies
- Mission, Vision and Values
- Founding Director's Welcome
- PA Diversity and Inclusion
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Accreditation Status