UT’s M.Ed in educational leadership is a cutting-edge program that caters to working professionals by offering flexible scheduling options such as traditional, weekend and hybrid instructional models. Throughout the program, candidates engage in experiential tasks directly aligned with the Florida Principal Leadership Standards and FELE (Florida Educational Leadership Exam) goals. Given the wide range of leadership responsibilities associated with being a school leader, this program offers an embedded internship every semester to ensure opportunities for candidates to benefit from hands-on learning and practical application.
Who enrolls in this program?
Students who enroll in the M.Ed. in educational leadership intend to pursue a career in school administration or a leadership role within an educational setting. Educational leadership encompasses a wide variety of career paths such as lead teacher, instructional coach, content supervisor, vice principal and principal. Candidates for this program must have at least two years of classroom teaching experience. Candidates come from a variety of backgrounds in education.
What is the structure of the program?
The M.Ed. in educational leadership curriculum is geared toward the goals and state standards of principal leadership. All courses prepare students for the FELE, which is a certification requirement to become a school leader in Florida. Students can complete the program in as little as 12 months, with the majority of the coursework being completed during the summer. Applications are accepted every semester, so students can start the program at any time.
For more information on classes and the M.Ed. in educational leadership program, check out our M.Ed. in Educational Leadership Quick Help Guide.
When does the program start?
Students can start the program during the fall, summer or spring semester. Semester start dates are the following:
Fall 2020: Sept. 8, 2020
Spring 2021: Jan. 19, 2021
Summer 2021: May 10, 2021
What courses are offered?
A comprehensive list can be found in the course catalog. A small sampling of the courses offered includes:
- Instructional Leadership
- Organizational Leadership, Safety and Decision Making
- Human Resources, Recruitment, Development and Retention
- Curriculum and Achievement
- Communication and Technology for School Leaders
What are the benefits of the program?
- Provides the necessary credentials to become a school administrator, district-level leader or school leader
- Advanced professional coursework supports classroom teaching, school leadership capacity and advancement in the school system
- Candidates experience practical and relevant learning opportunities through embedded internships every semester
- Candidates are able to begin their professional network with instructors who are principals, superintendents and school leaders throughout the greater Tampa Bay area
- Mentorship and career support from expert faculty members who hold doctorate degrees in the field
Guaranteed Admission for UT Graduates
Students and alumni who have earned a bachelor’s degree from UT are guaranteed admission to the M.Ed. in educational leadership program. Please email email@example.com if you are interested or have questions about guaranteed admission.
Start the Admissions Process
Start the admissions process today!
Contact the Office of
Graduate and Continuing Studies
Phone: (813) 253-6249
Request Information Packet
Receive information via mail and email.