30 first-year students are selected each year as the President’s Leadership Fellows to expand and refine their capacity to lead in a global society through participation in a four-year scholarship program. Those selected to be a part of this prestigious program earn an annual $1,000 scholarship in recognition of their commitment.
Fellows travel through the program as a cohort and explore leadership in theory and practice during their time at The University of Tampa. The program is designed to encourage students to think critically about their leadership capacity both at the university and in the community at large. The concept of leadership is explored holistically, through the introduction of theory via highly interactive workshops led by faculty, staff and community experts, and through personal experience with the guidance of strategically selected mentors. Selected mentors include a senior fellow, a faculty or staff member or a professional in the participants’ field of interest. Thus, participants are provided with purposeful opportunities to put their new knowledge to work in student-designed and facilitated cross-cohort community meetings, in community service settings and in student organizations. By applying knowledge and experiences acquired as a fellow, graduates of the program are able to successfully practice socially responsible leadership and are empowered to lead others.
- Attend PLF meetings on Wednesdays from 4–5:30 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters
- Attend the free, off-campus retreat your first semester in the program and during your third year
- Complete the leadership studies minor along with your cohort
- Complete journal assignments each semester
- Complete at least eight hours of community service each semester
- Participate in the social change project
- Be in good academic standing and maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Accept the PLF $500 award each semester
Questions about the requirement? Not to worry. We will clarify these when you advance in the selection/interview process.
Who Should Apply?
Were you just admitted to UT and joining us in Fall 2023?
Outstanding incoming first-year students admitted to the University for Fall 2023 with at least an unweighted 3.0 GPA and successful completion of AP, IB, AICE, Cambridge, and/or dual enrollment coursework, may be eligible for program admission based upon evaluation by the PLF scholarship committee. Applicants are active leaders and volunteers in their communities and aim to learn more about making positive change in our world.
In the application, be prepared to answer the following questions in 150-250 words.
- Why are you interested in the President's Leadership Fellows program? What do you hope to gain by participating in the program?
- What made you choose The University of Tampa?
- What social issue, global or local, do you feel most passionate about? Why?
- What skills, abilities and/or qualities do today's leaders need to be successful? Which of these characteristics do you see in yourself?
Open applications were due on April 1. Applications for Fall 2024 will reopen in January 2024.
For questions, please contact the program advisor, Ana Maia.