Spartan Secure is a student-centric information security awareness initiative sponsored by Information Security. In order for students to enjoy a safe computing experience, it’s necessary to safeguard computers, mobile devices, privacy and information.
Identity crime is sweeping the nation today, and the best defense is to become ‘security aware.’ Look for posters around campus publicizing Spartan Secure. Attend a security awareness presentation (email email@example.com for more information) and consult FTC Identity Theft Prevention and Using Social Media Safely.
Top 10 Tips:
- Protect your computer by maintaining antivirus software and performing updates when prompted.
- Protect your computer’s operating system and software by updating it regularly.
- Use UoT_Secure whenever possible, as it is a secure wireless option.
- Never share your passwords with anyone.
- Use your UT email account only at UT—use personal email accounts on social networking sites.
- Learn more about privacy settings in Facebook, Twitter and other sites you use.
- Always keep an eye on your mobile devices and never leave them unattended when in labs or classrooms on campus.
- Be alert for phishing emails that ask you to click on links or supply personal information—just delete them.
- If anyone asks you for personal information over the phone—just hang up!
- Stay Spartan Secure by learning about additional ways you can protect your information and privacy.