Browser warning

Graduate International Students

Nearly a quarter of the University's graduate students come from nations outside the United States. With students enrolled from more than 130 countries, the University celebrates opportunities for diverse cultural and educational exchange.

The Office of International Programs staff assists students with pre-arrival information, orientation and advice on academic, social, cultural and employment matters.

Please note that international students are eligible to apply for the following degree program and must maintain full-time student status by taking 8 credit hours each semester:


International applicants requiring an I-20 for an F-1 student visa should submit the following documents:
  • Completed application
  • $40 nonrefundable application fee
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities (with certified English translation)
  • Graduate Management Admissions Test score report (GMAT) ( or GRE score
  • TOEFL minimum score of 90 or a minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS exam
  • Personal statement written in English
  • Resume
  • Two reference forms completed by individuals who can attest to the applicant's professional background and academic potential
  • International Student Clearance Form (if currently studying in the U.S.)
  • Financial Certification Form for international students.
  • Bank statement/proof of funds. Must be completed by bank and stamped with bank seal.
  • Copy of biographical page of your passport (if available)
Send documents to:
Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies
The University of Tampa
401 W. Kennedy Blvd.
Box 102F
Tampa, FL 33606-1490

International applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL ( or the IELTS ( The minimum acceptable score for graduate students on the TOEFL is 90 or 6.5 on the IELTS. The TOEFL or IELTS score requirement is waived for international students from the Commonwealth Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.

Upon admission to the University and satisfactory completion of the Financial Certificate Form, an I-20 form will be sent to applicants from the Office of Admissions. Applicants should take this form to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their country, along with a copy of their acceptance letter and financial statement. After the student visa interview, the embassy or consulate will decide if an F-1 student visa can be issued. To enter the United States, students will need the F-1 student visa in their passport and the I-20 form. Students must not enter the country on a tourist visa with intention to study in the United States.

Institutional Employment

Part-time positions are offered by many campus departments. International students can work on campus up to 20 hours per week.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available each academic year to select full-time graduate students. Assistantships provide a tuition waiver for up to 12 credit hours per semester, plus a $1,500 stipend. Graduate assistants work 20 hours per week for an academic or administrative office, carry a full course load (at least 8 credit hours) and must maintain a 3.25 overall GPA. To learn more, contact the Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies at