It is the mission of the criminology and criminal justice department to provide criminological education, research and service to students, practitioners, policymakers and the community through an intellectually challenging environment that promotes collegiality and an educational experience relevant to crime and criminological theory that is meant to engage intellectual inquiry within domestic and international perspectives.
Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice Goals
The goals of the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice as found in the current University of Tampa Catalog attempt to:
- Familiarize students with theoretical perspectives in criminology.
- Convey an accurate sense of the historical development of the discipline.
- Assure that students acquire a comprehensive understanding of the nature and extent of crime.
- Convey to students a solid understanding of the components, operations and processes of the criminal justice system.
- Create opportunities for students to obtain hands-on experience.
- Assist students in developing effective communication skills.