Browser warning

Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

How do I apply for benefits?

Visit, choose apply for benefits, navigate to the VONAPP. After reading the instructions and starting the VONAPP, select form 22-1990, the Application for Benefits.

How do I get started with UT?

Have you used VA educational benefits before?
  • Yes:
    • Submit forms to your School Certifying Official
    • Confirmation of 22-1995 Change of Place of Training
    • DD-214 if no longer active duty
  • No:
    Go to and fill out the VONAPP (for 22-1990) to apply for benefits.
    • Submit your notice of eligibility to the Veterans Certifying Official 
    • DD-214 if no longer active duty

What does the veterans certifying official do?

Your veterans certifying official submits online form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, to notify the VA that you're currently registered and attending classes.

When will I get paid?

You should get paid starting the month following your first month of class and then every month thereafter. Payments for CH30 are considered "in arrears," meaning you will get paid at the end of the month for the month that you just finished.

What's the WAVE?

WAVE – Web Automated Verification of Enrollment. In order to continue getting paid every month for the CH 30 you must verify your attendance on the last day of every month by logging in or calling the WAVE system.

How much will I get paid?

Please visit for payment rates.

Do I have to pay my UT tuition ahead of time while receiving Montgomery GIBILL benefits?

Yes. You must pay your invoice for tuition, fees, housing and books by the published deadlines each term. Your Montgomery GIBILL benefits are meant to subsidize your expenses.

Should I convert to Post 9/11 GIBILL - Chapter 33?

It depends on your specific situation:
  • How many years of service do you have after Sept. 11, 2001?
    • Those with less than 36 months aggregate active service after Sept. 11, 2001, will not be eligible at the 100 percent level. This means you will only collect a percentage of the benefits available under CH33. Find out if you will get paid more at the fixed Montgomery GIBILL rate, or at a percentage of the Post 9/11 GIBILL benefit.
  • How many months of school do you have left? (Do you plan to continue to the graduate or post-graduate level?)
    • If you have more months of college than months of GIBILL left, then you may want to finish your Montgomery GIBILL, then apply for the 12 month extension of benefits under the Post9/11 GIBILL.
    • If you have fewer months of college than months of GIBILL left, then you may want to convert to the Post 9/11 GIBILL now.

Visit and look for the Benefits Comparison Tools to help you discover what's right for you.