Women's Health Services
Well Woman examinations are available here at the Dickey Health and Wellness Center. These exams are by appointment only on scheduled “Well Woman” days. Due to the limited availability and a high demand for these appointments, you will be charged a $25 no show fee for any appointment not canceled without two hours notice. You will be sent a reminder email the day before your appointment to help you avoid this charge.
The Well Woman Package — For women 21 years or older, this package includes the liquid-based pap, often referred to as a Thin Prep. This is currently the preferred standard for paps and, if abnormal, the specimen can be “reflexed” to determine if high risk HPV (human papilloma virus) is causing the abnormality. This test is recommended every three years for females 21 or older, or more frequently if a previous test was abnormal.
For women under 21, the pap is no longer routinely recommended.
- A review of past medical history
- A gynecological physical including breast exam
- Routine urinalysis
- Thin Prep pap if indicated (see above guidelines)
- Advanced STD testing for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, if indicated for high risk individuals
- Diagnostic evaluation for vaginal yeast and/or bacteria
Scheduling a Well Woman exam appointment
The Well Woman Package requires an hour long appointment. At your appointment you will complete our Well Woman questionnaire, obtain vital signs and urine test, and complete your examination with the nurse practitioner. Payment is due at the time of your appointment. Please be aware that none of the exams can be performed while you are on your menstrual period and you should not use any douching products, tampons, vaginal creams or medications, sprays or powders, or engage in sexual intercourse or oral sex within 48 hours prior to your exam. Please call (813) 253-6250 or come by the Dickey Health and Wellness Center to schedule.
Other Women's Services
- Birth Control Counseling - Students can make an appointment for contraceptive counseling. You and your nurse practitioner will determine if hormonal contraception is prescribed and if a Well Woman Visit is required based on clinical guidelines. The prescribed contraception options that are available at the health center are oral contraceptives and the Depo Provera injection. An education DVD on contraception options is also available for viewing at the health center if you need more information on these options.
- Gynecology Exams - If you are experiencing any symptoms of a gynecological problem, please call or come by the Dickey Health and Wellness Center to schedule an examination appointment.
- Breast Exams
For more information on women's health, please visit The National Women's Health Information Center at womenshealth.gov.