Welcome to Camp Spartan!
What is Camp Spartan?
Camp Spartan is a pre-orientation, off-campus experience that provides students with the opportunity to build strong bonds with their undergraduate peer mentor (known as a SPEAR) and their fellow Success Scholars, while participating in traditional "camp" activities and discovering more about themselves and their potential to succeed at UT!
During the Camp Spartan experience, we will offer an array of interactive activities and games, while also helping students explore the majors, careers, academic skills and personal values needed to start off their UT experience on the right foot. Students will also be given free time to explore the campgrounds, play games, make crafts and get to know your fellow scholars. And don’t forget the campfires and s’mores!
This exclusive experience for first generation and/or underrepresented Success Scholars at UT will allow students to participate in outdoor activities such as:
- Low Ropes Course
- Rock Climbing
...while also gaining more knowledge in the following areas:
- UT History, Culture and Spartan Pride
- Identity Development and Personal Strengths©
- Persistence, Resilience, Grit
- Career/Major Exploration
- Academic Skills
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Success Scholars Program
The connections students will form and the activities experienced will also help build the confidence needed to feel comfortable in the UT community. The Camp Spartan experience is the first major event option for incoming students in the Success Scholars program, but is not required to participate in the Success Scholars program throughout the year.
*Please note this experience is ONLY open to those incoming students who are invited to participate in the Success Scholars Program and is not open to all UT students.*
When does Camp Spartan happen?
The 2019 retreat will take place Aug. 19 through Aug. 22, both on-campus and at the Cedarkirk Camp and Conference Center
located in Lithia (about 45 minutes from the UT campus).
- Camp Spartan residential participants will move on-campus on Monday, Aug. 19, between 10:00am and 1:30pm., and will then report to Camp Spartan check-in by 1:30 a.m. for lunch and afternoon/evening activities. Commuter students will report at 1:30pm.
- All campers will spend the night at Cedarkirk on Aug. 20 and 21. Residential students will reside in the resident halls on Aug. 19 & 22. Commuter students must provide their own sleeping accommodations on Aug. 19 & 22, and transportation to/from campus for those days.
- Campers will be released from Camp Spartan at 11 p.m. on Aug. 22.
- The rest of the new UT Spartans begin the move-in process on Friday, Aug. 23.
How much will Camp Spartan cost?
Due to the success of last year's Camp Spartan Experience, we have secured enough funding to offer this program at a minimal cost to interested students. The non-refundable registration fee of $98 will help cover the cost of the outdoor activities and supplies for the event, while all other costs are covered by the University. Students will be provided with the following:
- Meals (11) and snacks
- Overnight lodging (two nights) in air-conditioned, bunk-bed style quarters with indoor plumbing
- Transportation to and from Cedarkirk site
- A Camp Spartan shirt
- A Success Scholars shirt
- A Success Scholars bag or water bottle
- Miscellaneous camp supplies
Submission of payment will reserve your spot for this great experience!
How do students sign up?
Registration for the event will be on a first come, first-served basis.
Limited space is available, so students should not delay. The deadline
to register for this exciting adventure is Sunday, June 2, at 11:59 p.m.
- Be sure that you have first opted into the Success Scholars Program for 2019-2020 (by invitation only).
- Save a seat and pay the registration fee by going to our registration site on EventBrite.
- Registration for Camp Spartan closes on Sunday, June 2, at 11:59 p.m.
- This deadline is especially important for on-campus residents, as you must be approved for early move-in privileges.
- Once the application is received, we will contact you with additional information and forms.
We hope you will join us for this unique experience that will allow you to connect with students and The University of Tampa before classes start. If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org