Skip to content

How do I register with Student Disability Services?

Students who wish to register with our office must submit appropriate documentation for their disability to our office for review. For students seeking to make a new request, they should submit an Accommodation Request and supporting documentation. The student will then meet with a staff member in Student Disability Services to discuss their requested accommodations and receive a letter of accommodation, if applicable. For students who have already registered with Student Disability Services, they can access their accommodations via their Accommodate by Symplicity account. To access their account, students should log in via MyUTampa and navigate to Accommodate by Symplicity. Please view the Documentation Requirements page before submitting supporting documentation. 

Do I need to register with the office more than once?

Registration occurs after your documentation is approved, and you initially meet with us to determine appropriate accommodations. Generally, this only occurs once, and from that point forward you are “registered” with us. However, in order to maintain academic accommodations, you must request a new letter of accommodation each semester. You can do this by logging into your MyUTampa account and selecting Accommodate by Symplicity. In Accommodate, you can make a semester request to receive an updated letter of accommodation. Students registered with our office may make appointments as needed throughout the semester if they would like additional support.

If I register with a disability, will it be on my transcript?

No, information regarding your disability is not included on your transcript. For more information, go to the  Confidentiality page.

What are typical academic accommodations?

Accommodations are determined based on the specific barriers you are facing, the documentation that you provide, your expressed needs, and our determination of what would be reasonable and appropriate. Go to the Academic Accommodations link for more information.

What do I do if I have a temporary disability such as a broken arm or leg?

If your temporary disability significantly impacts your ability to have equal access to our programs, you may choose to register with our office. You will need to provide documentation to our office and meet with a member of our staff to accomplish this. 

I need a tutor for my class. Does your office provide this?

You can find tutors for many subjects through Academic Excellence Programs. Stop by the Academic Success Center, located in North Walker Hall, for an up-to-date schedule of tutors and subjects. Depending on what subjects you need help in, you may also visit the Speech Center, Language Lab and Saunders Writing Center. Tutoring is a service provided to all students and is not considered a reasonable accommodation. 

I have an IEP from high school. Will this be enough documentation to register with your office?

The Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is not sufficient documentation to register with our office. We will need medical and/or psychological documentation and/or testing completed by a licensed professional. The law that pertains to accommodations changes when you turn 18 to the Americans with Disabilities Act. An IEP is not used in college. Please see our Documentation Requirements page for more information.

I have depression/anxiety, are there any services for me?

Our office serves students with all forms of disability, including anxiety and depression. While our office does not provide personal counseling, we can assist you in areas where your disability impacts your academic or residential program. Documentation from a treating professional is needed to determine if you qualify for accommodations. Even if you don’t register with us, we encourage you to obtain support through the Health and Wellness Center and/or an outside agency.

In high school someone helped me organize my homework/projects. Does your office do this?
Student Disability Services is not required to provide personalized assistance with homework or graded assignments. This is considered the student’s responsibility to manage. We do have an Academic Coaching program that students may find beneficial. You also may be interested in taking an academic skills class taught by the staff of Academic Excellence Programs. 

Do I have to take my exams/tests in the Testing Center?

The short answer is no. Alternative testing is a common accommodation, as many disabilities impact testing. We do provide testing in our office for students registered with a disability and who are entitled to testing accommodations. Many students elect to take their tests in the Testing Center, as it is distraction-reduced. However, you must have registered with our office for the semester in which you are using your accommodations and have given us at least three business days’ notice. This notice allows us the time necessary to contact your professor and arrange to have a copy of the exam on the day and time it is due. Not all tests and quizzes may require a trip to our office, and scheduling them remains your responsibility. If you or your professor have any questions regarding testing accommodations, please contact our office.

Are note takers available as an accommodation through Student Disability Services?

Student Disability Services can provide a note taker in some or all of your courses if you are approved for that accommodation. Accommodations will be determined based on your documentation and your meeting with a staff member in Student Disability Services. Note takers come in many different forms; options for note taking will be discussed during your meeting with our staff. Please review our Note Taker Accommodation Process and Policy for full details regarding this accommodation. 

How can I get copies of my documentation?

Once you have submitted documentation to our office, we generally cannot release that information. We strongly recommend you make a copy of your documentation prior to submitting it to our office, in case you need it in the future. If you submitted your documentation via Accommodate by Symplicity, you are able to access the files you uploaded at any time. You need to be familiar with what your documentation says so you can effectively communicate your needs. If you have already submitted documentation, you will generally need to contact the source of the documentation for another copy.