The UT community can now surf the Web while tanning poolside. The campus
wireless network, available since 2002, has recently expanded to include more
than a dozen indoor and outdoor locations such as the campus pool, Vaughn Center
lobby, and the Macdonald-Kelce Library.
“Eventually, the whole campus
will be wireless,” said Donna Alexander, director of information technology.
While she could not say when the process would be complete, she did say that “it
could easily be within five years.” She added that, because of its technical
limitations, wireless will not replace wired connections, but merely augment
As for the continued expansion on campus, Alexander said she
anticipates wireless access to be extended to the riverfront this month.
Academic areas are the priority, she said, but common areas also are
“We’re talking with [the providers] and the deans of the
colleges to see where they’d like to go next,” she said.
available wireless network locations include:
- Macdonald-Kelce Library
- Jaeb Computer Center Lobby
- Cass Building, first and second floors
- Plant Hall lobby
- Vaughn Center lobby
- Vaughn Center commuter lounge, room 202
- Vaughn Center
- Spartan Club
- Vaughn Center Board Room, ninth floor
- Sykes College of Business, second floor MBA lounge, room 250, and breakout
rooms 275, 276, 280 and 281
- Stadium Place, first floor
- Swimming pool area
- R.K. Bailey Art Studios, Scarfone/Hartley Gallery
information, contact the Office of Public Information at email@example.com