Browser warning

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA/CH 35)

The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA/CH 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.

How do I apply for benefits?

Visit, navigate to "how do I apply" and click on "find your education benefits form." After reading the instructions select the appropriate option to apply for VA educational benefits.

How do I get started with UT?*

Have you used the Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA/CH 35) benefit at another school? 


Email your certificate of eligibility (COE) to


Email your certificate of eligibility (COE) and confirmation of your VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program/Location of Training to  

*A copy of veteran's social security card required on file. 

What does the Veterans Certifying Official do?

Your Veterans Certifying Official (VCO) submits online form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, to notify the VA that you're currently registered and attending classes. The VCO will certify your enrollment every term prior to the start of each term. The VCO will also monitor your enrollment and report changes in enrollment to the VA. Changes in enrollment may create adjustments in your benefits payout.

When will I get paid?

You should get paid starting the month following your first month of class and then every month thereafter. Payments for DEA-CH 35 are considered "in arrears," meaning you will get paid at the first of the month for the month that you just finished.

How much will I get paid?

Please visit for payment rates.

Do I have to pay my UT tuition ahead of time while receiving DEA-CH 35 benefits?

Yes. You must pay your invoice for tuition, fees and housing by the published deadlines each term. Your DEA benefits are meant to subsidize your college tuition expenses.