The Office of Information Technology is implementing a new e-mail system called “SpartanMail” for students as described below.
The change will provide the following benefits to students.
- The word “spartans” will be a part of your new UT e-mail address, @spartans.ut.edu.
- Prior to March 31, 2010, students will receive notification of their new @spartans.ut.edu logon and password.
- Between March 31 and May 15, 2010 students will be required to log into SpartanMail and set up their profile information. (Click here for SpartanMail instructions.)
- Prior to May 15, 2010 students who wish to have their University e-mail forwarded to an external address must set up forwarding in SpartanMail.
- Beginning May 15, 2010, your official UT e-mail address will change from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Beginning May 15, 2010, e-mail addressed to @ut.edu will be routed to @spartans.ut.edu.
- Beginning May 15, 2010, update any references to @ut.edu e-mail to your new SpartanMail address. This may include Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and other social media accounts; any logins to Web sites that use the @ut.edu account such as bank accounts, utility accounts, iTunes, Amazon and other online shopping and payment accounts; and personal connections to family and friends. Any online login outside of UT will need to be changed if it is tied to the @ut.edu account.
- Prior to July 1, 2010, students should forward any existing e-mail they want to keep from the @ut.edu mailbox to their @spartans.ut.edu address.
- As of July 1, 2010, access to your @ut.edu e-mail box will be discontinued.
There are three additional things to be aware of:
- 10 Gb mailbox – up from the existing 35 Mb.
- 25 Gb skydrive – for your personalized file storage.
- Full e-mail functionality – collaboration, calendaring, mobile device compatibility, etc.
- E-mail forwarding – you can easily forward SpartanMail to a personal e-mail account.
- Lifetime e-mail – your SpartanMail address will remain active upon your graduation from UT.
- Your SpartanMail logon/password will be separate from all other UT systems (i.e. Blackboard, SpartanWeb, network (domain), etc.).
- Your network (domain) logon, which is the same as your existing e-mail username and password, will not change. You will continue to use this logon to access the UT network, etc.
- Students who currently have their UT e-mail forwarded to an external address are responsible for forwarding e-mail from their SpartanMail address.
Questions? Contact Student Help Desk at email@example.com
or (813) 253-6255.