UT Center for Public Speaking
The Department of Speech, Theatre and Dance recognizes that public speaking skills are essential for career success and civic participation. In addition to speech courses that expose students to the skills, understandings and competencies necessary in effective public speech performances, the department sponsors the UT Center for Public Speaking. The center’s mission is to enhance oral communication skills and offer support services at The University of Tampa. We provide one-to-one tutoring and small group workshops with peer tutors. This free service is available to all students, faculty and staff.
Speaking Center services include:
- Speech topic brainstorming, selection and focus
- Speech organization and outlining guidelines and suggestions
- Delivery assessment and feedback for improvement
- Evaluation of presentation aids
- Support in managing public speaking anxiety and communication apprehension
What to bring to a Speaking Center session:
- Your professor’s instructions and grading rubric for the oral communication assignment
- Questions to ask the tutor or problems you want to discuss
Visiting the Speaking Center tutors:
- EDISON room 128 (#47 on campus map) Mondays and Wednesdays 12 to 3 p.m.
- IT ANNEX building (#54 on campus map) Mondays and Wednesdays 3 to 5 p.m.
The UT Center for Public Speaking hosts a speech contest once a semester and is open to all students. Speeches may be on any topic, six to eight minutes in length and persuasive or informative. Speeches are scored on strength of thesis and performance quality. Grand prize is $150. Registration form and contest guidelines are available through Ann Marie Coats at email@example.com.
The UT Center for Public Speaking sponsors the Speech Club. The mission of the Speech Club is to work in conjunction with the UT Center for Public Speaking to enhance oral communication skills and offer support services to the UT community, develop the oratory skills of club members, engage in speaking opportunities and compete in forensic competitions.
For more information, contact center coordinator Ann Marie Coats at firstname.lastname@example.org.