The Department of Speech, Theatre and Dance recognizes that public speaking skills are essential for career success and civic participation. In addition to speech courses that expose students to the skills, understandings and competencies necessary for effective public speech performances, the department sponsors the UT Center for Public Speaking. The Center’s mission is to enhance oral communication skills and offer support services at The University of Tampa. We provide one-to-one tutoring and small group workshops with peer tutors and experienced professionals. This free service is available to all students, faculty and staff.
Speaking Center services include:
- Speech topic brainstorming, selection and focus
- Speech organization and outlining guidelines and suggestions
- Delivery assessment and feedback for improvement
- Evaluation of presentation aids
- Support in managing public speaking anxiety and communication apprehension
The UT Center for Public Speaking is open from Sept. 6, 2018 - Dec. 7, 2018.
Hours of Operation:
Monday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Drop-in anytime during our open hours for consultations, coaching and practice.
Or, email email@example.com to request an appointment outside of regular hours.
What to bring to a session at the Speaking Center:
- The assignment description (and grading rubric if available) for the oral communication assignment
- Specific instructions from your professor
- Questions to ask the peer tutor or problems you want to discuss
Visit the Speaking Center:
- Kennedy Boulevard Building, Room 200 (#56 on the campus map)
The UT Center for Public Speaking hosts a speech contest once a semester that is open to all students. Speeches may be informative or persuasive, on any topic, and five to seven minutes in length. Speeches are evaluated on organization, content and quality of delivery. Cash prizes are awarded. View registration form and contest guidelines, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date! Fall 2018 Speech Contest will take place on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018 at 6 p.m. in Vaughn Center, 9th floor.
Assistant Professor, Speech