Personal Safety Reminder
Although The University of Tampa is essentially a safe place, the campus
is subject to the same problems that may occur in the greater Tampa
community. As such, UT community members are reminded to be alert and
assume responsibility for their personal safety by applying common sense
and using services offered by Campus Safety. Please immediately report
any suspicious activity on or near campus to campus security by calling
(813) 257-7777 off campus or x7777 on campus.
Things To Remember When Out At Night
- Don't travel alone.
- Call the LASER Team or Campus Safety for a safe escort.
- Avoid contact with strangers.
- Avoid dark or secluded places.
- Keep vehicle doors locked at all times.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel like there's something wrong, then there probably is.
There are several downloadable applications for smartphones
designed to help students in their personal safety efforts. A recent Web
article describes six of the top available apps. Click here
for additional information.
Vehicle Theft Prevention Tips
- Don't leave your vehicle running or the keys in it, even for a minute.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Use “The Club" or a similar device. It is a good visual theft deterrent.
- Remember to activate your vehicle alarm.
- Do not ignore a vehicle alarm — call Campus Safety immediately.
- Do not leave valuables (cell phones, packages, etc.) in plain view inside your vehicle.
Tips For Protecting Your Personal Property
- Be alert! Do not leave property unprotected while moving into or out of your residence hall.
- If you have to leave property on the sidewalk or in the parking lot
while you load/unload your vehicle, have someone watch it until you
- Do not leave your vehicle unlocked when returning to your room.
- Do not leave unattended items in the hallway.
- Electronic equipment, TVs, stereos, and MP3 and CD players are
popular theft items. Campus Safety can engrave these items. Please call
x7777 for an appointment.
- If you have a bicycle, you must register it with Campus Safety.
After registration, the bike should be locked to a secure campus bike
rack or stored in the secured Thomas Parking Garage bicycle storage
area. All unsecured bikes will be impounded by Campus Safety.