The University of Tampa considers the safety of all University community members integral to its educational mission.
|On campus: x7777
Off campus or cell phones: (813) 257-7777
|Call from on campus: 9-911
Calling from off campus: 911
(then call Campus Safety)
|Safe Escort Service
|On campus: x4515
Off campus or cell phones: (813) 257-4515
||Res Com Clubhouse
720 W. North B. St.
(between Res Com and Thomas Parking Garage)
The Department of Campus Safety works closely with the dean of students to ensure that guidelines, rules and procedures are properly communicated and executed. Safety officers also coordinate with the Facilities Management Department to provide a clean and safe environment.
Officers patrol campus 24 hours a day, every day of the year. They also assist with services such as publishing crime prevention information, providing pedestrian escorts, assisting with personal property engraving and vehicle registration.
The Florida Department of State licenses all officers, and most UT personnel have previous law enforcement or military experience. They are qualified to handle any type of safety and security situation. Prior to employment, all officers are subjected to extensive psychological screening and background investigations.
Campus Safety maintains a close working relationship with both the Tampa Police Department and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. Officers from both agencies are routinely seen on campus, providing additional backup and support to our officers. By law, officers from both agencies may enforce laws on campus, including traffic regulations. UT Campus Safety officers do not possess arrest powers.
Personal Safety Reminder
Although The University of Tampa is essentially a safe place, the campus is subject to the same problems that may occur in the greater Tampa community. As such, UT community members are reminded to be alert and assume responsibility for their personal safety by applying common sense and using services offered by Campus Safety. Please immediately report any suspicious activity on or near campus to campus security by calling (813) 257-7777 off campus or x7777 on campus.
Things To Remember When Out At Night
- Don't travel alone.
- Call the LASER Team or Campus Safety for a safe escort.
- Avoid contact with strangers.
- Avoid dark or secluded places.
- Keep vehicle doors locked at all times.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel like there's something wrong, then there probably is.
There are several downloadable applications for smartphones designed to help students in their personal safety efforts. A recent Web article describes six of the top available apps. Click here
for additional information.
Vehicle Theft Prevention Tips
- Don't leave your vehicle running or the keys in it, even for a minute.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Use “The Club" or a similar device. It is a good visual theft deterrent.
- Remember to activate your vehicle alarm.
- Do not ignore a vehicle alarm — call Campus Safety immediately.
- Do not leave valuables (cell phones, packages, etc.) in plain view inside your vehicle.
Tips For Protecting Your Personal Property
- Be alert! Do not leave property unprotected while moving into or out of your residence hall.
- If you have to leave property on the sidewalk or in the parking lot while you load/unload your vehicle, have someone watch it until you return.
- Do not leave your vehicle unlocked when returning to your room.
- Do not leave unattended items in the hallway.
- Electronic equipment, TVs, stereos, and MP3 and CD players are popular theft items. Campus Safety can engrave these items. Please call x7777 for an appointment.
- If you have a bicycle, you must register it with Campus Safety. After registration, the bike should be locked to a secure campus bike rack or stored in the secured Thomas Parking Garage bicycle storage area. All unsecured bikes will be impounded by Campus Safety.
We encourage all University community members to register for Alert Tampa through the city of Tampa. This service provides time critical notifications for emergencies or warnings relevant to our area. You may sign up for notification texts, emails or phone calls through this website: www.tampagov.net/alerttampa
Office of Campus Safety
(813) 257-7777 or x7777 if on campus email@example.com
Kevin Howell, Director
Jackie Smith, Assistant Director