UT Band Camp and Fred Gebhardt Music Leadership Camp for High School Officers
The UT Band Camp is a comprehensive music camp for woodwind, brass and percussion students entering grades 7-12 in Fall 2016. Sponsored by the Department of Music at The University of Tampa, Band Camp is led by Hubert Toney, Jr., UT director of bands and music education.
The UT Department of Music is proud to host the Fred Gebhardt Music Leadership Camp as an elective component of Band Camp. Leadership Camp is exclusively for high school music officers (drum majors, section leaders, elected or appointed officers certified by their directors) serving in the upcoming school year.
Our goal is to make better musicians in five days!
Students can expect to improve performance and musicianship...
- Improve performance and musicianship skills
- Take master classes with UT music faculty (literature and tips for your instrument, warm-up and technique, how to prepare for auditions, etc.)
- Play in a large band conducted by music educators and a smaller ensemble (small ensemble concerts between 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. on Friday - parents welcome!)
- Choose a music elective such as Master Musician, Beginning Piano, Jazz Improvisation, World Drumming, Band Leadership (for 2016-2017 band officers only)
- Private lesson option (additional cost)
- Enjoy meals in a UT dining hall
- Music for placement auditions on the first day of camp will consist of the music downloaded from this page and sight-reading. (Music Link will be posted/emailed)
- Be a Day Camper or Resident Camper (overnight)
- Resident campers follow the daily schedule noted below and continue with music events and other structured activities through the evening; all meals are provided. Resident campers are housed in a UT residence hall overnight Sunday—Thursday with expert and caring supervision. The resident/overnight camp counselors are experienced public school music teachers with Level II clearance.
To register, complete the online application form...
There are two parts of registration. To begin, complete the online application form (part 1 of 2). Once completed, you'll be directed to a document (part 2 of 2) that needs to be printed and mailed or faxed to the Department of Music. Complete instructions are provided in the registration documents.
UT Band Camp registration forms are due by May 16, 2016. After May 16, a late registration fee of $25 applies.
Gebhardt Leadership Camp registration forms are due by Wednesday, June 8, 2016. After June 8, a late registration fee of $25 applies.
For information, contact the UT Department of Music at (813) 253-6212, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fee varies for day and resident campers...
Registration Fee (paid by May 16):
- Day Camper: $250*
- Resident Camper: $450*
*Additional late registration fee after May 16 of $25
Scholarship registration forms must be submitted by April 30, 2015...
Discounts are available for documented musical achievements, and there are additional scholarship opportunities and sponsors.
Scholarship registration forms must be submitted by April 29, 2016.
Hillsborough County Master Musicians:
Master Musician (MM) checks will be sent directly to MM Camp Scholarship recipients by the Secondary Music Council as a partial “refund” of camp expenses. UT will certify to Ted Hope, secondary music supervisor, that a MM recipient has fully enrolled in UT Band Camp before checks are sent.
The camp runs Sunday to Friday...
- 2 p.m. Check-in
- 3 p.m. All-camp meeting in Falk Theatre for campers, parents and staff
- 3:20 p.m. Resume check-in
- 4-6 p.m. Band placement auditions
- Day campers picked up between 4:30-6 p.m. after their audition
- Resident campers: dinner and evening activities
- 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Small chamber concerts will be held during master class times which can vary depending on instrument.
- (concluding with Grande Finale Concerts, middle school bands at 5 p.m., high school bands at 7 p.m.)
Grande Finale Concerts
The Grande Finale Concerts are held on Friday evening...
Location: Friday evening at Falk Theatre, located on 428 W. Kennedy Blvd., just across from the University's main entrance
1st Concert: Campus Band and Concert Band from 5-6:15 p.m.
2nd Concert: Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble from 7-8:30 p.m.
- Students' concert times are determined by band placement on the first day of camp.
- Family and friends are encouraged to attend their student's Grand Finale Concert on Friday evening (admission is free, videotaping is permitted).
- Students leave with parents following their concert at Falk Theatre. Resident students' belongings will be at Falk Theatre for pick-up.