The following documents are required prior to the application being reviewed for admission. Status of submitted applications, documents and admission status can be viewed on SpartanWeb.
We are pleased to continue our merit-based scholarship program for incoming students. Before the January 2017 residency, we will award merit-based scholarships in three separate rounds. In order to be considered for the third round, submit your application and supporting documents before Nov. 30, 2016.
Applications and all supporting documents are due by the following dates unless special arrangements have been made:
- For the January 2017 Residency, the deadline is Dec. 12, 2016. After Dec. 12, applications are accepted and reviewed based on space availability.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the admission committee.
Watch Video on YouTube
- Completed application
- Official transcripts of all previous college work received directly from each institution. Undergraduates who are in the process of completing degrees may apply for admission with full acceptance contingent upon completion of a baccalaureate degree.
- Personal statement articulating your education experience not evident in your official transcripts. The personal statement should be three typed double-spaced pages and address these topics: the role writing has played in your life, your aspirations as a writer, how you see this MFA program helping you meet your goals, and evidence of your ability to work well independently. Include your name and contact information on the upper right corner of each page. If the sample is submitted digitally, the file should be in PDF format and labeled: lastnamefirstnamePersonal_Statement.pdf.
- Sample of your creative writing in the genre in which you seek admission (10 pages of poetry, 20 pages of fiction or 20 pages of creative nonfiction). These samples should be double-spaced using 12 pt. type. Include your name and contact information on the upper right corner of each page. If the sample is submitted digitally, the file should be in PDF format and labeled: lastnamefirstnameCreative_Sample.pdf.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can comment on your writing and your ability to work independently.
- International applicants are required to submit test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) if English is not the native language. The minimum required TOEFL score is 100, and the minimum required IELTS score is 7.0.
Please send required documents electronically or by mail to:
Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies
The University of Tampa
401 W. Kennedy Blvd., Box F
Tampa, FL 33606-1490
(813) 258-7409Email: email@example.com