An internship can offer you a learning experience that will compliment the academic work that you are completing in the classroom. Internships afford the opportunity for you to translate your experiences into knowledge. In effect, it is "learning by doing." By definition, an internship is a short-term work experience in a professional environment where the emphasis is on learning. It is a chance for you to be immersed in the world of work under the guidance of a mentor (employer) and faculty member who will create a real world classroom for you.
A meaningful internship can provide the following benefits:
- Invaluable related experience in the professional world
- New ideas and people
- Take for academic credit and process the experience with faculty/staff
- Exposure to mentors and life skills through projects
- Reality test a career path or major
- Networking opportunities
- Skill development as an active contributor
- Hear and learn from the experts
- Invaluable "foot-in-the-door"
- Professional experience for resume
How to Find the Right Internship