The Department of Film, Animation and New Media aims to prepare filmmakers and visual producers to participate in the vanguard of the 21st century. In keeping with the mission of The University of Tampa, students learn by doing and thinking with courses in studio production using state of the art facilities, computer labs, digital cameras and sound stages. Our courses, designed to foster creative expression and professional technique, include hands-on studio classes in narrative, documentary, experimental and animation filmmaking; screenwriting; producing; digital media and imaging; 3-D animation, modeling and printing; digital and interactive media; and experimental computing. The curriculum includes courses in critical studies structured to educate, challenge and inspire future professionals. Film, Animation and New Media aims to foster interdisciplinary collaboration between colleges, programs and departments within the University.
The Film, Animation and New Media department aims:
- To prepare majors for professional art/design careers or graduate study in film, animation and new media through Bachelor of Fine Arts programs.
- To foster students’ development as artists/designers in the fields of film, animation and new media and to inspire and educate for an expanded quality of life.
- To provide opportunities for students to intersect digital and film studio production with other fields through elective offerings, through a liberal arts degree in film and through minors in all major areas.
- To provide students opportunities to explore established disciplines in film, animation and new media, while breaking ground with new works or approaches.
- To provide students opportunities to explore experimental, documentary, narrative, animation and interactive media.
- To provide a rich educational experience to students within the digital media arts.
- To enrich the UT community with visiting artist, filmmaker, animation and new media professionals who speak on campus in public programs.
- To enrich the Tampa Bay arts community by hosting public showcases of film, animation and new media.
- To serve the greater national and international community through programs, educational outreach and scholarly creativity.
- To establish curricula and creative artists who produce work within the vanguard of the 21st century.