Education Major Requirements
Freshman Year/Transfer Students
- Upon admission to The University of Tampa, declare Education as your major. Choose from: Elementary Education, Secondary Biology Education (6-12), Secondary English Education (6-12), Secondary Mathematics Education (6-12), Secondary Social Science Education (6-12), Sports Studies with a concentration in Physical Education (K-12) or Music Education (K-12).
- Please note that while you may have declared Education as your major, you still need to apply for admission to the Education Department and you must meet ALL entry requirements (see Sophomore Year below) before admittance is granted. Start this process NOW. Ask for an Education Faculty member as an advisor through your Gateways course. Take required courses. (Beginning in the 2001 - 2002 academic year, all education majors take a state mandated core curriculum. See catalog for details. Download the Candidate Handbook for Teacher Education (PDF format).
- Obtain LiveText user account through your EDU 201 course. Create your LiveText user account.
- Upon completion of 30 semester hours of credit, take the General Knowledge (GK) exam.
- To be accepted into the teacher education program, students must meet all of the following requirements:
- Submit a completed Teacher Education Application packet (download PDF).
- Grade-point average of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) in the undergraduate general curriculum distribution, a 2.5 overall grade-point average and a 2.5 minimum in 200 level EDU courses.
- Must pass all sections of the Test of General Knowledge (GK) (admitted students after spring 2003).
- Completion of the requirements for a baccalaureate degree from any accredited college or university.
- Maintain a 2.5 G.P.A or better.
- In your second semester Junior Year, apply to sit for all remaining portions of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE): Professional Education, and Subject Area Exam.
- Coursework throughout the program will require candidates to provide evidence of mastery of designated Critical Candidate Performance Assessment Tasks. These evidences are flagged as UCC Critical Assessment Tasks & ESOL Core Tasks in your EDU syllabi.
- All UCC Tasks must be uploaded to the Live Text electronic data base for purpose of review, scoring and data tracking.
- Near the end of the second semester junior year, apply for Teaching Practicum III: Final Internship (See catalog for application requirements or visit Teaching Practica Web page for more details).
- In your second semester senior year, the final internship / Teaching Practicum III takes place.
- All requirements must be met to be admitted to the final internship program. These requirements are:
- Continue to maintain a minimum of a 2.5 GPA,
- Register to sit for all remaining components of the FTCE,
- Earn a minimum of acceptable/target ratings on teaching Practicum II Evaluation and
- Upload all targeted Critical Assessment tasks and Core ESOL tasks to LiveText and earn acceptable/target scores on all UCC standards measured through UCC rubrics.
Records to Keep for Intern Application
The capstone experience for all teacher education programs is the full-time, fourteen week (14) internship in an accredited public, private or charter school located in Hillsborough County under the guidance of a certified clinically trained Cooperating Teacher and University Supervisor. Candidates formally apply for entrance to the Teaching Practicum III final internship. When applying for the final internship, Teaching Practicum III, the following information must be provided to the Director of Clinical Education:
- Intern Application Form,
- Copy of signed 90 hour form (signed by you and your advisor). The Advising Office handles all 90 hours forms. You must make an appointment with them,
- Unofficial copy of transcript documenting a 2.5 GPA or higher overall and in the major with no "I" (Incomplete) grades, and completion of a minimum of 30 credit hours in the University of Tampa Teacher Preparation program,
- Criminal Record Information Form,
- Documentation providing proof of fingerprinting form,
- Official documentation of pass scores on the Professional Area Exam (PED), and Subject Area Exam (SAE) of the FTCE or proof of registration for either of the sections not yet passed.
Other paperwork is required; however this list will alert you to that information which must be saved by you for later use.
In order to move onto and enroll in your Final Internship, you must have achieved a level of “Acceptable” or “Target” on ALL UCC critical tasks and ESOL core tasks. Failure to do so WILL necessitate your enrollment in EDU 380 Professional Development Clinical, cancellation of your enrollment in the Final Internship and delay your graduation date.NOTE:
The Teaching Practicum III Application Packet will be distributed and collected as a requirement during Teaching Practicum II. Sports Studies with a concentration in Physical Education K-12 and Music Education K-12 Majors are asked to obtain the Teaching Practicum III Application Packet from the UT Department of Education Office by the end of your second semester Junior Year a full semester before the final internship.