B.S. in Elementary Education
The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education program provides an in-depth study of pedagogical styles, learning theories and teaching approaches at the elementary school levels. Elementary education majors will gain certification in grades K-5. Students will also earn the necessary ESOL endorsement required by the state of Florida to teach in public schools.
» Elementary Education Major Quick Help Guide
Topics of Study
- teaching science
- teaching language arts
- teaching mathematics
- teaching social studies
- teaching art, music and physical education
- experiential, ideological, theoretical and relational dimensions of student teaching
- creating instructional units
- student evaluation and assessment processes
- classroom ethics and law
- technology in the classroom
- building a classroom community of learners
- multilingual/multicultural theory
- learners with special needs
- curriculum integration
- Test of General Knowledge (GK) – As an admission requirement, all education majors are required to pass all sections of the Test of General Knowledge on the FTCE.
- Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE) – In order to graduate from UT’s education program, all students must pass the professional education portion and the subject area portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam.
- ESOL Endorsement – Graduates will earn teaching endorsement in English as a Second Language. This is a required endorsement for all teachers in the state of Florida.
- Kappa Delta Pi (KDP) – International Honor Society for Education
- Student National Education Association (SNEA)