The Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education program provides students with the academic knowledge, learning strategies and teaching approaches needed to be successful elementary school teachers. Elementary education candidates will gain certification to teach grades K-6 upon graduation. All students in the elementary education program will also be required to earn their ESOL endorsement. This endorsement is required by the State of Florida for all elementary teachers.
Topics of Study
The University of Tampa’s elementary education program focuses on:
- teaching English
- teaching math
- teaching science
- teaching social studies
- teaching art, music and physical education
- creating instructional units
- implementing technology in the classroom
- building classroom communities
- understanding classroom ethics and law
- assisting learners with special needs
- creating assessments and evaluations
- applying multicultural theory in the classroom
- integrating curriculum
View all Elementary Education required coursework in UT online catalog.
In order to become a certified teacher, candidates must pass three examinations. One of the tests will be built into the admission process for the Department of Education. The remaining two exams will be required for graduation. The exams elementary education majors must pass include:
- General Knowledge Test (GK): All candidates must take and pass all sections of this exam to be admitted into UT’s Department of Education.
- Professional Education, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All candidates must pass the professional education exam to become a certified teacher.
- Elementary Education Subject Area, Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FCTE): All elementary candidates must pass this exam to become certified teachers of grades (K-6).
Student Leadership Activities
Candidates may join education focused extra-curricular activities to enhance their college experience. Clubs and societies include:
• Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society for Education
• Student Leadership Group (B.E.L.I.E.V.E.)
There are several resources students may take advantage of, including the following: