The Bonner Leader Program is a four-year service commitment for undergraduate students. Each year, eight students are selected from the freshmen class to participate in this intensive work and scholarship program. The Bonner Leader Program is designed to transform the lives of participating students, the University campus culture and the Tampa Bay community in which the students serve.
What do Bonner Leaders do?
Bonner Leaders work nine hours per week at a nonprofit organization in the Tampa Bay Area, with their wages paid from The University of Tampa’s work study funding. During their first semester, the Bonner Leaders select their placement at a specific nonprofit organization with the hope that they will continue working there for their four years of college, gaining increasing responsibility each year. Several Bonner Leaders work at the same site and collaborate on various social justice initiatives.
In addition to their work off campus, Bonner Leaders participate in a number of professional development opportunities. Each week, the Bonner Leaders meet for two hours to reflect upon their experiences and to enhance their skill set.
The Bonner Program Common Commitments
Bonners across the country explore the following values during the service:
- Community Building: Establish and sustain a vibrant community of place, personal relationships and common interests.
- Civic Engagement: Participate intentionally as a citizen in the democratic process, actively engaging in public policy and direct service.
- Diversity: Respect the many different dimensions of diversity in our public lives.
- International Perspective: Develop an international understanding that enables students to participate fully in a global society.
- Spiritual Exploration: Explore personal beliefs while respecting the spiritual practices of others.
- Social Justice: Advocate for fairness, impartiality and equality while addressing systemic social and environmental issues.
Benefits of Becoming a Bonner Leader
The Bonner Leader Program offers additional financial assistance for a student to attend The University of Tampa. Bonner Leaders have the potential to receive:
- An annual $2,000 scholarship
- Federal Work Study Funding, up to $2,000 for the year, as determined by the student’s financial aid package. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year to be considered for Federal Work Study Funding.
Applications for first-year students (freshmen) to the Bonner Leader Program are due Thursday, March 1, 2019. All sophomore positions are filled.
Online Application and Timeline
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 253-6233 with any questions that you may have about The University of Tampa’s Bonner Leader Program.