An internship is the perfect opportunity for employers to gain a
resource to assist with projects and assignments. Students come with
research, problem-solving, writing and academic skills as well as a
fresh perspective and an eagerness to learn.
A meaningful internship
will have the following components:
- Exposure to the professional world;
- A strong, ongoing and regular reflection component to process the experience;
- An intern who is an active participant and contributor;
- An employer mentor who assigns meaningful projects and objectively evaluates progress;
faculty member who assists the intern with the connection between the
academic and professional experience through reflection and evaluation;
- The experience itself must have the potential to be turned into knowledge and applied directly to real life.