Note: All positions for Fall 2013 must be applied for in the preceding summer. All applicants must qualify for Federal Work Study.
The Office of Information Technology depends on UT students for computer lab operation. Students can choose from three different labs on campus to fill three different kinds of positions: IT Help Desk Assistant, IT Support
Technician and Network Support Technician. Jobs within IT allow students to work around their class schedules, give them the latest knowledge of software and technology, and help them gain customer service experience.
After the application and interview process, students must participate in the IT in-service orientation and training program. For more information about working for the Office of Information Technology and the application process, please see our employment flyer and view the job descriptions below. All employment applications must be submitted to Hire UT. All applicants will be emailed promptly to schedule an interview.
Students can serve as:
IT Help Desk Assistant
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Assist students with installing virus protection.
- Aid students with virus and spyware removal.
- Support students with connecting to the campus network and file recovery.
- Help students with general questions in regards to lab use.
- Change toner and add paper as needed in the labs.
- Report issues in the labs.
IT Support Technician
- Create lab images.
- Monitor computer issues in assigned lab.
- Troubleshoot, repair and report issues.
- Perform software updates.
- Add software as needed.
- Image labs as needed.
- Perform monthly inventory.
Network Support Technician
- Assist Network Services with assigned duties.
- Perform basic network connectivity troubleshooting.
- Inventory Network Equipment.
- Assist with wireless network surveys.
- Assist with preventative maintenance in network closets.
- Fabricate and install Ethernet patch cables.