Established in 1962, the Board of Counselors mission is to aid The University of Tampa in its student retention program and to assist in creating public recognition of, understanding of and confidence in The University of Tampa.
With nearly 100 volunteer members, the Counselors organize social events to raise awareness and funds for UT and maintain programs designed to prepare students for life after college. Through their membership commitment, Board of Counselors members find rewarding opportunities to network with peers who share their belief in the value of higher education.
The Board of Counselors leadership for 2016-2017
- CJ Steadman, Chair
- Aakash Patel, Immediate Past Chair
- Matt Rutkovitz, Treasurer
- Katie Fields, Marketing Co-chair
- Oytun Tutuncu, Marketing Co-chair
- Maggie Andretta, Membership Co-chair
- Anthony Derby, Cigars and Mojitos Co-chair, Membership Co-chair
- James Zebrowski, Cigars and Mojitos Co-chair
- Mary Beth Hillery, Events Co-chair
- Dan Winters, Events Co-chair
- Anthony Scuotto, Speed Networking Night Co-chair
- Danielle Salm, Speed Networking Night Co-chair
- David Loos, Speed Networking Night Co-chair
- Jesse Klaucke, Development Chair
The Board of Counselors asks members to:
- Serve as ambassadors of The University of Tampa among peers in the community
- Support Counselors initiatives and programs
- Participate on a Board of Counselors or Trustee committee
- Mentor students
- Identify potential members
- Financially support the Counselors and the University by fulfilling annual financial requirements of:
- Basic Level $300 ($150 membership dues plus $150 Annual Fund contribution)
The Board of Counselors fiscal year starts on June 1. For more information, please contact the Board of Counselors at email@example.com or (813) 257-3582.
Board of Counselors Signature Events
Counselors are encouraged to participate in one or more planning committees as well as attend events. Along with all the special events the Board of Counselors hosts
throughout the year, Counselors and guests are also invited to
complimentary networking socials such as the Board of Counselors
Kick-off Social; the Board of Trustees, Fellows and Counselors Holiday
Party; and the Board of Counselors End-of-Year Celebration. There will
be two to three additional casual socials added to the calendar this
academic year. These socials offer opportunities to network with other
board members and with the University community. They are also ideal for
prospective members to learn more about the mission of the Board of
Counselors and to meet current members.
Speed Networking Night
Speed Networking Night (SNN), in partnership with UT Career Services, takes place twice a year, on Oct. 26, 2016, and Feb. 22, 2017. The event is held on the UT campus from 5:30–7:30 p.m. The SNN is modeled after speed dating and provides UT students the chance to meet professionals for a 4-minute blitz to learn and apply networking skills and techniques. The Board of Counselors recruit 25 dynamic representatives from a wide range of industries to include environmental science, hospitality, entertainment/performing arts, government, marine science, pharmacy, healthcare, finance (banking and accounting), education, construction, engineering and law to network with the students. Counselors can also participate in mentoring programs by submitting Volunteer Interest Forms (PDF) to the Office of Career Services.
Cigar City Nights
Cigar City Nights is scheduled for April 7, 2017, from 5:30–8 p.m. at Sono Cafe at the Tampa Museum of Art. Guests will enjoy a night overlooking the minarets of UT while enjoying premium cigars, hors d'oeuvres and spirits. Live entertainment completes the setting for this fun event.
Tickets for Cigars City Nights will be available available for $45 each or $70 for a pair before March 6. Limited number of VIP tickets are $125. Prices subject to change after the March 6 date. Find out more by visiting Cigar City Nights.
View photos from Board of Counselors events and programs on Facebook.