Board of Counselors
Established in 1962, the Board of Counselors mission is to aid The University of Tampa in its student retention program and to assist in creating public recognition of, understanding of and confidence in The University of Tampa.
With nearly 70 volunteer members, the Counselors organize social events to raise awareness and funds for UT and maintain programs designed to prepare students for life after college. Through their membership commitment, Board of Counselors members find rewarding opportunities to network with peers who share their belief in the value of higher education.
The Board of Counselors leadership for 2013-2014
- Ali Carr, chair
- Anthony Scuotto, treasurer
- Krystin Olinski, marketing/communications co-chair
- Alex Benshoff, marketing/communications co-chair
- Tanner White, Top Shot co-chair
- Caroline Vostrejs, Top Shot co-chair
- Greg Parks, Top Shot co-chair
- Joe Wessel, membership co-chair
- Chris McCarthy, membership co-chair
- Jake Filloramo, membership co-chair
- Katie Krimitsos, career services and student outreach co-chair
- David Brickhouse, career services and student outreach co-chair
- Shelly Hollingsworth, career services and student outreach co-chair
- Aakash Patel, development
The Board of Counselors asks members to:
- Serve as ambassadors of The University of Tampa among peers in the community
- Support Counselors initiatives and programs
- Participate on a Board of Counselors or Trustee committee
- Mentor students
- Identify potential members
- Financially support the Counselors and the University by fulfilling annual financial requirements of:
- Basic Level $300 ($150 membership dues plus $150 Annual Fund contribution)
The Board of Counselors fiscal year starts on June 1. For more information, please contact the Board of Counselors at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 263-6200.
Board of Counselors Signature Events
Counselors are encouraged to participate in one or more planning committees as well as attend events. Along with all the special events the Board of Counselors hosts
throughout the year, Counselors and guests are also invited to
complimentary networking socials such as the Board of Counselors
Kick-off Social; the Board of Trustees, Fellows and Counselors Holiday
Party; and the Board of Counselors End-of-Year Celebration. There will
be two to three additional casual socials added to the calendar this
academic year. These socials offer opportunities to network with other
board members and with the University community. They are also ideal for
prospective members to learn more about the mission of the Board of
Counselors and to meet current members.
Speed Networking Night
Speed Networking Night (SNN), in partnership with UT Career Services, takes place twice a year, on Nov. 13, 2013, and Feb. 19, 2014. The event is held on the UT campus from 5:30–7:30 p.m. The SNN is modeled after speed dating and provides UT students the chance to meet professionals for a 4-minute blitz to learn and apply networking skills and techniques. The Board of Counselors recruit 25 dynamic representatives from a wide range of industries to include environmental science, hospitality, entertainment/performing arts, government, marine science, pharmacy, healthcare, finance (banking and accounting), education, construction, engineering and law to network with the students. Counselors can also participate in mentoring programs by submitting Volunteer Interest Forms (PDF) to the Office of Career Services.
Cigars and Mojitos Social
2014 Event sponsored by Merrill Lynch—Eric Sidor, Financial Advisor
The Cigars and Mojitos Social was held on Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, from 6–8 p.m. at The University of Tampa. As many as 150 guests attend this social event to enjoy the scenic view from the east verandah of Plant Hall while enjoying premium cigars, hors d'oeuvres and spirits. Live entertainment completes the setting for this fun event. Ticket information will be available as event nears.
Tickets for the Cigars and Mojitos Social were available for $35 each or $60 for a pair.
Top Shot Sporting Clays Shootout
Sponsored by Merrill Lynch—Eric Sidor, Financial Advisor
A very popular event for the Counselors, the Top Shot Tournament is a great event to test out shooting skills or learn a new sport. In partnership with the Board of Fellows, the annual Top Shot Tournament is scheduled for March 21, 2014. The 2013 Top Shot Tournament attracted more than 160 participants. No experience necessary.
BOC 2013-2014 Calendar PDF
View photos from Board of Counselors events and programs on Facebook.