General Rules of Use
Rental of the BikeUT bicycles comes with several general rules of use as well as guidelines for rider safety and responsibility.
Safety and Responsibility
- Rider will release only one bike at a time for his/her sole use.
- Rider is 18 or older.
- Rider certifies that he/she is a competent bike operator.
- Bike and any equipment attached thereto remains exclusive property of Campus Recreation at all times. Rider will not modify the bike or equipment.
- Rider will use bike for general commuting purposes only and not for racing, mountain bike riding, stunt or trick riding. Rider will not use the bike for hire or reward, nor use it in violation of any law, ordinance or regulation.
- Rider will not use the bike on unpaved roads, through water or in any location where bike riding is prohibited.
- No bike can be rented after dusk, nor ridden in the dark. Florida law states the bicycles ridden in the dark must be equipped with a head light and a tail light, which Campus Recreation does not provide.
- Rider will return the bike to McNiff within the permitted rental time, or BikeUT may assess a late fee. Once bike is returned, rider may then immediately rent again if desired, and it is not dark.
- Rider must report a stolen or lost bike to Campus Recreation and UT Security and/or Tampa Police Department (if off campus), immediately.
- Rider must return the bike to McNiff in the same condition received, ordinary wear and tear excepted. Rider must ensure that the bike is locked and secured when unattended. Bikes will be equipped with u-locks, however, BikeUT will not be responsible for any lost, stolen, destroyed and/or damaged bikes, regardless of whether bike locks are used, broken and/or not properly functioning.
- Rider agrees to pay for any loss or damage to bike and equipment, even if it was caused by someone else, including payment for repairs and replacement parts, or the full replacement cost for bike and/or equipment if it is lost, destroyed, damaged beyond repair, or not returned to a McNiff within 24 hours of the end of rider's permitted rental period.
- Rider will follow, and certifies that he/she is familiar with, all laws pertaining to the use of the bike, including all campus, state and local laws and the rules and regulations pertaining to bicycles on campus. To the extent rider needs to review such information, rider can go to www.dot.state.fl.us.
- Helmets are provided by BikeUT, and it is recommended that riders wear the helmet when riding. If riding after sunset, rider agrees to provide and use required front and rear bicycle lights.
- Rider agrees to adjust bike seat, using the lever under the seat, to fit physique. Rider must ensure that the seat post is not extended beyond a safe level.
- Rider will not use a bike if he/she is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Rider will not use a bike during rain or dangerous weather.
- Rider will not fill the front carrier/basket with items weighing more than 10 pounds.
- Rider will not carry passengers, or pull or push anything with the bike.
- Rider is solely responsible for any violations, fines, fees or costs incurred by rider during rental of the bike.