Published: September 04, 2013
The grand opening of West Kennedy Hall, complete with tours of The University of Tampa’s biggest and newest residence hall, will be held on Thursday, Sept. 12, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The University welcomes the public to the opening, which will feature a short program at 11 a.m.
- West Kennedy Hall, which is located on Kennedy Boulevard near North Boulevard, opened this semester with upscale accommodations for 528 UT students. It features:
- Two large community multi-purpose rooms on the top — 11th — floor specifically for organizational and group activities;
- An international theme, intended to continue educating students about global cultures and traditions;
- More than 100 pieces of world photography, plus art objects and unique cultural elements from more than 20 countries around the world, that are exhibited in the lobby and throughout the building;
- All rooms that are cable and network ready;
- Two, two-story lofts, accessed from the 10th floor, that offer townhouse-like living, and outstanding views, for groups of eight students each;
- A solar thermal array on the roof that utilizes the sun’s energy to heat water for the occupants’ use;
- Design and construction techniques that make the building a candidate for LEED certification;
- A centralized, well-equipped kitchen; and,
- External lighting that changes with the seasons.
West Kennedy Hall is the seventh new residence hall built on the UT campus in the last 15 years.