Published: September 13, 2013
The University of Tampa has been named by Victory Media as a Military Friendly School for 2014 — a designation that ranks UT in the top 20 percent of all colleges and universities nationwide.
Criteria for making the Military Friendly Schools list include efforts to recruit and retain military and veteran students, as well as embracing America’s military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensuring their success on campus.
“Inclusion on the 2014 list of Military Friendly Schools® shows the University of Tampa’s commitment to providing a supportive environment for military students,” said Sean Collins, vice president at Victory Media and a nine-year Navy veteran. “The need for education is growing and our mission is to provide the military community with transparent, world-class resources to assist in their search for schools.”
According to Dennis Nostrand, UT’s vice president for enrollment, UT offers exceptional opportunities to new cadets, Green-to-Gold enlistees and veterans — and their dependents — seeking career changes.
“We realize that veterans bring highly coveted leadership, discipline and experience to the UT campus, and we participate in all major veteran education benefits available,” Nostrand said.
- UT's Army ROTC program — the Spartan Battalion — is frequently ranked as one of the best in the nation.
- Air Force Reserve Officers Training Corps and Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps programs are offered under an intercampus agreement with the University of South Florida.
- UT waives up to 100 percent of tuition/fees for veterans — and their dependents — eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.
- UT, which is located less than 10 miles from MacDill Air Force Base, offers a generous transfer credit policy for military students, including credit for military service, and correspondence and online courses.
- A Veterans Affairs-certifying official is onsite at UT.
- UT has both a veteran student organization and a veteran orientation for incoming students.
- UT’s Spartan Battalion is housed in a new, state-of-the-art facility on The University of Tampa campus.
As a Military Friendly School, UT will be listed in the
2014 Guide to Military Friendly Schools