Published: Apr 18, 2013
The University of Tampa MFA in Creative Writing speaker series, “Lectores,” will feature seven nights of reading with some of today’s most interesting contemporary writers during the MFA students’ June residency.
This year’s headliners include: National Book Award winner Denis Johnson; writer, director, actress and Camera d'Or winner Miranda July; and poet Barbara Ras.
July will read on Saturday, June 15, at 7 p.m. in the Vaughn Center, 9th floor on the UT campus, Ras will speak with Man Booker International Prize finalist Josip Novakovich on Monday, June 17, at 7 p.m. in UT’s Falk Theatre, and Johnson will read on Wednesday, June 19, at 7 p.m., also in Falk Theatre.
All readings and events are free and open to the public. All begin at 7 p.m. in their respective venues. The full series follows:
- Reading with novelists Brock Clarke and Tibor Fischer — Thursday, June 13, Oxford Exchange (420 W. Kennedy Blvd., Tampa).
- Reading with fiction writer Corinna Vallianatos and journalist and nonfiction writer John Capouya — Friday, June 14, Falk Theatre.
- Reading with author, filmmaker and artist Miranda July — Saturday, June 15, Vaughn Center, 9th Floor.
- Reading with Man Booker International Prize finalist Josip Novakovich and poet Barbara Ras — Monday, June 17, Falk Theatre.
- Reading with poets and nonfiction writers Steve Kistulentz, Donald Morrill and Heather Sellers — Tuesday, June 18, Falk Theatre.
- Reading with National Book Award winner Denis Johnson — Wednesday, June 19, Falk Theatre.
- Reading with novelists Jessica Anthony, Stefan Kiesbye and Jeff Parker — Thursday, June 20, Falk Theatre.
The UT MFA in Creative Writing program works by bringing students for 10-day residencies in January and June and then facilitating individual mentorship between students and writing faculty from a distance.
The Lectores series is co-sponsored by Creative Loafing, Oxford Exchange and WMNF-88.5FM.
For more information, go to www.ut.edu/mfacw/lectores.