Meet Karla Borja
Chair/Associate Professor, Economics
Education: 1993, Central America University, B.A.
1998, Technological Institute of Mexico, M.A.
2002, Claremont Graduate University, M.A.
2005, Claremont Graduate University, Ph.D.
Courses Taught: Principles of Macroeconomics
Economics of Organizations
Game Theory and Strategy
Career Specialties: Economic growth and development, international trade, experimental economics
Professional and Community Activities: Karla Borja is currently exploring economic development issues in the region of Latin America. Her most recent empirical research is related to the concepts of migration, remittances and the factors driving international capital flows to Latin America. Her research contributes to the understanding of economic and social channels linking developed and developing nations. She has published in the
American Economic Review
1. Borja, K., Dieringer, S (2016) Streaming or stealing? The complementary features between music streaming and music piracy. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol. 32, pp.86-95.
2. Borja, K., Dieringer, S., and Daw, J. (2015). The Effect of Music Streaming Services on Music Piracy among College Students. Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 45, pp. 69-76.
3. Borja, K., Parker, T., Malo, J. and Piazza, M. (2015) Fintech: Measuring Customers’ Utility and Risk Preferences. Journal of Finance Case Research, Vol. 17, No.1.
4. Borja, K., Irvine, M., Land, T., and Wilson, R. (2015) Ignite your Bliss: A Case Study on Cost Curves Analysis. Journal of Business Case Studies, Vol. 11, No.3, pp. 133-139.
5. Borja, K., Nguyen, T., Osborne, J., and Bonilla, F. (2014) Curves Don’t Lie: The Cost Curve Analysis of a Belly Dance Studio. International Research Journal of Applied Finance, Vol. 5, pp. 1-5.
6. Borja, K., Agresta, K., Sethi, S., William, N. (2014) Student Retention Rates at CCU: Asymmetric Information, Screening Devices, and Extracurricular Activities. Review of Social Studies, Law and Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 102-108.
7. Borja, K. (2014) Social Capital, Remittances and Growth. European Journal of Development Research, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 574-596.
8. Borja, K. (2013) International Private Transfers and Labor Participation in El Salvador. Journal of International and Global Economic Studies, Vol. 6, No. 2.
9. Borja, K., Churchill, Z., Papa, M. and Wagner, M. (2013) Game Theory and the New Entrant: Independence Bank and USFFCU. Journal of Business Cases and Applications, Vol. 9, No.5, Sep-Oct.
10. Borja, K. (2013) Home and Host Country Business Cycles and Remittances: The Case of El Salvador and The Dominican Republic. Applied Econometrics and International Development, Vol. 13, No.2, July-Dec.
11. Borja, K. (2013) The U.S. and Latin American Business Cycles: Too Close, Too Far? The Tampa Bay Economy, University of Tampa, Summer 2013.
12. Borja, K. (2012) The Impact of the US Recession on Immigrant Remittances in Central America. Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy, Vol. 3, No. 3.
13. Borja, K. (2012) What Drives Remittances to Latin America? A Review of the Literature. International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 3 No. 17.
14. Zak, P., Borja, K, et al. (2009) Testosterone Administration Decreases Generosity in the Ultimatum Game. PLoS One Scientific and Medical Research, Vol. 4, No. 12.
15. Zak, P., Borja, K., Metzler, W, and Kurzban, R. (2005) The Neuroeconomics of Distrust: Sex Differences in Behavior and Physiology. American Economic Review, Vol. 95, No.2.
Honors and Awards: Recipient of a Fulbright Fellowship to study toward a doctorate in economics (2000)