Published: August 09, 2005
One of the University's most loyal alumni families will see their name
figuratively chiseled in stone when UT dedicates one of its newest residence
halls, Alfred and Beverly Austin Hall, during a celebration on Sunday, Aug. 14,
at 5:30 p.m.
The ceremony will take place in the lobby of the former
Crescent Place residence hall, located on Poe Parkway, adjacent to the Vaughn
Center on the UT campus. It will be followed by the dedication of the Capital
Campaign Donor Recognition Wall in the Vaughn Center lobby.
Austins are being honored for their work on the recently-completed $83-million
comprehensive capital campaign, they also are being recognized for their other
contributions to the University. The husband-wife team chaired the campaign,
working tirelessly to help the University meet its growth plans.
not just about Al and Beverly's help during the campaign, but about a lifetime
of contribution and dedication stretching back to 1947 when Al was at UT. They
have always been more than just friends, and have helped guide what the
University has become," said President Ron Vaughn.
Al Austin, a former UT
board chairman (1986-88) and currently chairman emeritus, is a successful Tampa
developer and businessman who is active in many charities and civic causes. He
also is involved in state and national Republican politics.
Beverly were awarded honorary doctorates in public service during the December
2004 Commencement exercises. This is the University's highest honor and is
conferred only on persons of special merit who have gained professional
recognition and whose outstanding achievements embody the goals and values of
the University's mission.
Austin Hall is a nine-story, 448-bed facility
that was completed in 1998 and represented the first step in a major
reconstruction of residence halls on campus that continues today.
more information, contact the Office of Public Information at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 253-6232.